Lessons learnt

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
Went out this morning, first time in a couple of weeks. Left the car park and about 1/2 miles down did a little jump from the curb, next thing I know, flat tyre at the back.
Ok this is my first puncture on the MTB, never had problem on the road bike with fixing puncture.
I decided to replace the tube and fix it later at home. First mistake, if you have a tube with Presta valve fitted a Schrader valve won't fit in :shock: . So I decided to fix the tube, trying to get the tyre out my cheap (crappy) tyre lever breaks (Thanks Aldi), with the remaining one I managed to get the tyre and tube out, it was a double pinch, one of them being too big to fix. Putting back the back wheel one took me over 15 mins (lack of practice i guess or just plainly don't know what I am doing). Anyway managed to put the tyre back and then it is the long way back to the car pushing the bike (as the sun comes through and reminding me what a great ride it could have been).
So what I have learnt this morning: Carry the right tube, buy some decent tools and practice when you can on how to do it. :mrgreen:
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or learn how to use tools correctly. or learn it without the need for tools :wink:

yes the valve one is a pain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Get plastic tyre levers. Metal scratch your wheels. And get a good pump. Small pumps are so hard to pump a tyre well. Especially road bikes when you need more pressure.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nicklouse wrote:
    or learn how to use tools correctly. or learn it without the need for tools :wink:
    At night. In the rain.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Or drill your rims so that schraeder valves fit, that way you can use either type.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    .blitz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    At night. In the rain.
    Blindfolded, whilst under enemy fire
  • jeannot18
    It could have been worse i guess, if I would have been 6 or 7 miles away from the car park...
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Never carry a tool you can't use, it guarantees you'll need to use it ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jeannot18
    Received my tubes (10 of them, am I tempting fate??) and some new Park tyre levers (what a difference). Bike is up and running :D

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I pray i don't get punctures on my front wheel :P

Can't get the bugger off with normal tyre levels unless there are 2 of us :s need to get some of those nice 8" long tyre levers :p
  • I got fed up with tyre levers so now I don't use them, once you get the hang of removing tyres without them it's quick and easy.

Also, carry some small cable ties with you they are great for all kinds of repairs/holding your bike together!

I used a couple on a puncture and it lasted for a month before I got round to carrying a proper repair.

:-)
  • Anonymous
    I got fed up with tyre levers so now I don't use them, once you get the hang of removing tyres without them it's quick and easy.
    Depending on your tyre/rim combination.
  • I got fed up with tyre levers so now I don't use them, once you get the hang of removing tyres without them it's quick and easy.

It took 3 of us and 8 tyre levers to peel a dmr moto tyre off some lads dj wheel when he had a puncture :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I got fed up with tyre levers so now I don't use them, once you get the hang of removing tyres without them it's quick and easy.

nope. not found one yet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Depending on your tyre/rim combination.

The trick is to use your teeth!

Works for me ;-)
  • Long way back to the car? Thought you were half a mile in? 7.5 mins at a brisk 4mph..
    I'd practice walking a bit further never mind maintenance if that's too far, our collie pup gets a hilly 6 miles a day!!! :lol:
  • Or did you mean 1 "OR" 2 miles? still half hour tops- flatties and trail shoes jog it?
  • Oberdiah
    Oberdiah Posts: 25
    Also, carry some small cable ties with you they are great for all kinds of repairs/holding your bike together!

I used a couple on a puncture and it lasted for a month before I got round to carrying a proper repair.

Ok, I've re-read this a few times but forgive me if It's obvious. How the feck did you use cable ties to fix a puncture??
  • Anonymous
    Oberdiah wrote:

Ok, I've re-read this a few times but forgive me if It's obvious. How the feck did you use cable ties to fix a puncture??
    I guess it could work if you cut the tube where the puncture it, then fold the ends over, and use zip ties to hole it shut.
    Same idea as tying a knot I guess.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can use them on a ripped tyre, maybe that's what he means?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Maybe obvious but perhaps check you have the correct tyre pressure? :?
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • Oberdiah wrote:

I guess it could work if you cut the tube where the puncture it, then fold the ends over, and use zip ties to hole it shut.
    Same idea as tying a knot I guess.
    I found a small hole in my rear innertube, I placed a cable tie round either side of the innertube where the hole was and tightened, then pushed the innertube and cable tie back inside the tyre and inflated.

lasted for rest of my ride and a few more weeks until I carried out a full repair. Don't dismiss the power of the cable tie! :-)
  • Oberdiah
    Oberdiah Posts: 25
    Never thought of that, nice bodging! :lol:
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    That is a really neat trailside bodge. Like it. Would even work on a slashed inner tube... as long as was just a single cut in one position. Must remember to get some cable ties!
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    had my first puncture (of my newly rediscovered mountain biking life) last week doing a downhill run on some rough gravel track. Obviously no spare or any tools with me. Found a little house and knocked on the door to see if they had a pump (had slime tubes in) - no luck so it was a 3km walk down some seriously steep terrain with bike sliding behind & in front of me back to the car

Lesson learned. Spare tube, puncture kit, some basic tools & a some first aid now come riding with me at all times. If the puncture had happened further up (2,500m!) I'd have been in trouble - too steep to go back up and a very long walk / slide down.

Will add cable ties to my little emergency pack...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8