Putting a boxed bike together

MattJ88
MattJ88 Posts: 41
edited July 2011 in The workshop
Ok, here is the deal. I have a C2W voucher that I have to use in halfords. Bike I am getting its not in stock..well they have display one but didn't want that one so they have ordered one in for me.

Hopefully arriving in store on friday. If it does, I'll prob have to wait until monday for it to be built due to staffing... Or I am welcome to take home in box as soon as it arrives and put together myself.

Taking home seems best option as I get bike quicker and I know that out won't have been touched by weekend staff but how easy is it to set up brakes and gearing? The bloke showed me in store on the display model exactly what to do and seemed easy enough but not something I've fine before.. Any good guides out there?[/list]

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Park tools is the best place, most bikes are easy, wheels, pedals, straighten bars, preload headset and tighten stem then tweak brakes and gears....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Parktools. see below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MattJ88
    Brill, will have a look!

Many thanks
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    I worked for 5 years building boxed bikes, quite straight forward, but if done by an amateur:
    Pro's: You can take your time, cut cable outers down to length, grease and lube parts (seatpost!) during assembly that are sometimes missed and you'll feel like it's *your* bike. Should take less than an hour and it's fun!

Con's: You do have cable cutters? Pedal spanner? Half-moon file for seat-tube? Can you bleed brakes after you've cut down the hoses? Can you set up the front mech? Oh, and invariably you've got no warranty if the bike comes out the box damaged, or any come back if your front brake fails on the first descent.

Don't listen to me, man-up and get dirty 8)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • MattJ88
    Oh, and invariably you've got no warranty if the bike comes out the box damaged, or any come back if your front brake fails on the first descent.

That was one worry .. if I unpack the box and there is damage - I have no way of proving it arrived that way and wasn't damaged by me, an amateur, trying to do something for the first time ...

hmm
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Wait and get it built, then give it a good going over before you leave the store. Thats what I did from Halfrauds with my Carrera and no problems thus far. Also, they're pretty good if you take it back for minor adjustments after cable stretch etc.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    If you have never built a bike before and don't have much experience in bicycle maintenance then believe me, it will take much longer than an hour. It will probably take you beyond Monday and will result in you taking it somewhere to have your wrongs put right. If it were me I would let them do it. At least then you will have the hard stuff done and can do any fine tuning yourself so if feels right when you do get on it.
  • MattJ88
    Makes sense.

Non stop rain lately anyway so won't be that desperate to get it over the weekend!!

Knowing my luck it will be glorious sunshine all weekend ha!