Can I ride this for commuting to work?

hankdu
hankdu Posts: 3
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

My dad has a Giant Defy Advanced 3 road bike at home and I wish to use it to commute to work since my dad doesn't use it anymore.

Would I look silly riding such an expensive bike for non-racing purposes in ordinary clothes?

The spec of the bicycle can be found here:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 890/37094/

Thank you all.

:D

Comments

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    hankdu wrote:
    Would I look silly riding such an expensive bike for non-racing purposes in ordinary clothes?

No.

Next question.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Non-cyclists don't see "expensive bikes" and "cheap bikes". They just see "bikes".

Other cyclists may clock it and think "nice bike".

There is a proportion of cyclists that will look down on you for riding such a bike in street clothes, but they are the same people that would look down on you for using the wrong brand of groupset or the wrong pedal system or whatever. These people are d*ckheads and so not worth worrying about.

Make sure you have somewhere secure to lock it.
  • hankdu
    hankdu Posts: 3
    Thank you guys, your answers were great!!

NOW where is that helmet? :D
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    hankdu wrote:
    NOW where is that helmet? :D

On an Italian road bike, criticising your choice of cycling attire. :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    nation wrote:
    Non-cyclists don't see "expensive bikes" and "cheap bikes". They just see "bikes".

Other cyclists may clock it and think "nice bike".

There is a proportion of cyclists that will look down on you for riding such a bike in street clothes, but they are the same people that would look down on you for using the wrong brand of groupset or the wrong pedal system or whatever. These people are d*ckheads and so not worth worrying about.

Make sure you have somewhere secure to lock it.

And a decent lock to use.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Yes, of course you can. And more to the point, lucky you. As long as you've somewhere secure to leave it, of course. I commute on a rubbish bike, 'cause I have to leave it in the street with weather and thieves.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If you have any trouble, then I'll swap it for my spare bike as a favour.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Hole in the seat too for added effect. Email me on ....
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    cje wrote:
    .... I commute on a rubbish bike, 'cause I have to leave it in the street with weather and thieves.
    Yeah, it's kinda liberating, though, isn't it?

Cheers,
    W.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    I wish I had a Giant Defy Advanced to ride to work!!
    I find that I worry about how my bike or biking clothes look only when I am not on my bike.

As soon as I get on the road at 5am to start my commute, I just feel good(or bad if there is a massive head-wind) and I do not even think of anyone else in the world!

Get on the bike and commute. You're very lucky to have access to such a bike. It is for you to enjoy how you see fit.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    That would be a lovely bike to commute on.
    People do wear cycle specific clothing for a reason and you will get it once you start and it will come if you get into cycling or not if you don't.

Don't worry about what other people think, just ride to work and enjoy it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!