Anyone ever lost a finger nail?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
i cut down a tree about a month ago, an was chopping the trunk up an managed to crush my middle finger under the trunk (i know i know school boy error) so anyways it bled like a stuck pig this stopped, whole nail went black an that was the end of it i thought...

came to work today an as getting changed an took my jacket off which caught the nail which pulled the thing off

how long does it take to regrow or will i have a sausage finger forever?!

IMG_0550.jpg
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Few months to grow back totally.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    thats pretty grim mate

it should regrow in a few months if i recell, i had a toenail taken off when i was a teen and it is there now. grew back straight enough.

now post a picture of you chewing on it :lol:
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    When I was 6 I slammed my finger in a very heavy door and the same thing happened to me, old fingernail turned black and fell off, then a weird looking misshapen fingernail grew back. This too then fell off, and then the normal nail grew back. I can't even remember which finger it was now, no lasting damage :)
  • mudcow007
    ahh thank god for that i thought i was destined to be a mutant for the rest of my days
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    yeah lost a finger nail when i was about 5 or 6..it grows back as long as there is the root left (which i did thankfully)...its different that the rest though - slightly ridged and the cuticle is a weird shape :P
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I lose toenails regularly. Ultramarathon running...

They grow back eventually
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It'll look VERY strange for a while, but will go hard of its own accord within a few days. Then it'll grow as normal from the root and smooth out over time

I had a fingernail on my right hand (3rd finger) that had a jet black line through the middle of it for 20 odd years. It's only recently faded to be barely visible - that was caused by having the nail ripped off (don't ask but there were tears) and an infection getting into the root.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    It'll look VERY strange for a while, but will go hard of its own accord within a few days. Then it'll grow as normal from the root and smooth out over time

I had a fingernail on my right hand (3rd finger) that had a jet black line through the middle of it for 20 odd years. It's only recently faded to be barely visible - that was caused by having the nail ripped off (don't ask but there were tears) and an infection getting into the root.

the bed is already hard to touch i think because the old nail was still on top be must have been detached?

i still have the nail as a momento though, do you think my mrs would like it as a present?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Blergh, I hate teeth/fingernail injuries!

Incidentally, my dad shut my finger in a door years ago, right on the lock too. Hurt like fugg at the time, the nail was cracked and half pulled off. Eventually it dropped off and a new one appeared in it's place.

Like the poster above, I can't remember which one it was, so it's obviously grown back normally.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I sawed 3" out of the seat rails on my Kawasaki Zephyr on the weekend and then welded them back in place but shorter (obvioiusly).

Bit of a fiddly job and I've managed to burn a hole through the nail on my left pinkie by jamming it against a bit of flresh glowing weld (hole in the welding glove).

Still there so far - nicely cauterised I guess.

I remember losing a big toenail as a child and the gruesome sucky noise it would make as you lifted it off the toe before it had detatched at the cuticle....greuggh

Lose toenails on ultramarathons???? Insanity! I think your body is telling you to take the frickin' train.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Yuck! It'll grow back. I did similar crushing my finger in a fire door a few months back. Went to casualty about a week later. Casualty nurse told me if I'd come in sooner they could have tried to get the blood out and save the nail.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ahh thank god for that i thought i was destined to be a mutant for the rest of my days
    No-one has said you won't be - it just won't be due to the nail!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    S'what nails are for - to be sacrificed to save your finger.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I did as a kid, it grew back fine within a few months.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yup trapped in a car door breaking the finger too, after a couple of days I gave in a went to a&e to have the pressure released.

Grim stuff, although I did keep the nail when it came off ;-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I used to be a regular great north run erm, runner and I lost my big toenail three years in a row. The new nail grew back just in time for it to be lost the next time.
    I could never figure it out because I trained at half marathon distances wearing the same socks and shoes but the GRN somehow bruised my toenail and made it fall off. :(
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I rolled a pallet truck full of butter over my big toe once, xray looked like a snow storm, nail came off straight away, replacement toe nail is a FREAK!!!

I'd post a picture, but it's dinner time.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

Hmmmm...
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I have lost two fingernails after my younger brother slammed an oak door shut onto my hand, they grew back after about 4 or 5 months. I lost 6 toenails this year after doing the london marathon, they are still in the process of regrowing and are pretty deformed looking at the moment.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    God I hate pics like that, I can cope with my own injuries in a detached sort of way but seeing someone elses is just horrible!
    BTW your nail should regrow but if it doesn't don't forget sausage fingers are cool! 8)
  • bails87
    squeeler wrote:
    God I hate pics like that, I can cope with my own injuries in a detached sort of way but seeing someone elses is just horrible!

:lol:
    I read this at work, so didn't see the images as photobucket/flickr etc are blocked. Phew!
    MTB/CX

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Why? Have you found one?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I had a minor incident with a grinding wheel about two months ago. The wheel ground through my finger nail and into the nail bed about halfway down the nail on my index finger. Absolutely no sign of the injury now.

Just keep the nail bed covered and clean to [prevent infection until it forms a decent scab and leave nature to takes its course.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    prj45 wrote:

Hmmmm...

Mmmm?
  • bails87
    Why? Have you found one?

That's put me right off my pork scratchings.....
    MTB/CX

• BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    I regularly lose four finger nails and a thumb nail...then I turn my hand over and find them again.

It's magic!
  • I lost a toenail in a bizarre biking-in-sandals incident a couple of years ago. It hurt like hell and I never found the nail - for some reason I thought that if I stuck the old nail back on it would help.... It went black for a few months but the nail regrew, the swelling subsided, and now - even if I take my socks off - I can find no visual trace of toe trauma.

Believe me, there are a lot of nerve ends in a toe and there are probably a few more in your fingers. Console yourself with the thought (or hope...) that fingernails grow quicker than toenails.