Prescription Optical Inserts

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I attempted to get a direct glaze set of Oakleys custom made and while the company managed to do with with my very high Prescription, they mucked up big time in sending NON tinted lenses, so off they go back.

As they were from the USA Im not up for getting stung with Tax again.

So I am looking at other ways, My RX is -6.50 in both eyes and -2.0 & -3.0 cyl, so as you can see the Prescription is indeed pretty high

I was wondering if I could get a set of clip on inserts for a decent pair of cycling sun glasses, wrap around with a Prescription lense dont work for me, again due to my high prescription.

So can you guys reccomend some inserts and where to get them from ?

Thanks

Gaz
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I think G66 has some of these for his Rudy Projects.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Adidas Evil Eye. The shape of the glasses is better for us more blind folk as it gives more space for the insert to fit in. As for where, James at RX Sport -- you'll have to phone them up as the website doesn't go that high. Besides, they're also an Oakley dealer, so it might be worth a chat about any other options.

They will not be cheap, I'm afraid. When I totalled my last pair by doing a proper faceplant on them the replacements (including additional clear lenses) came to 315 GBP. That's for frames [including a couple of lens colours], inserts, and an additional pair of clear inserts.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Hi

I have a similar prescription, and I have just got a pair of Rudy Project Magsters from RX sport. Total cost including 3 sets of lenses was about £275. I went for the magsters as the lenses were changeable and they had a vent to stop steaming up, which works fantastically!

RX sports have been great, I had a small problem with the prescription and they are sorting it no hassle, and they really know what they are talking about and what the glasses are for so set them up in that way.

The most useful lens I have is the racing red, and really I should have gone for the photocromic version of that.

RX Sport also do a trail system where you can have a look and try one a number of glasses before you buy, which I found really useful when selecting the right ones for me.
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    I have a very similar perscription (even higher in 1 eye !!) and I have the Adidas Evil Eye with insert. I've had them for many years and find them really good, very comfortable, robust and easy to find replacement lenses if you need/want to try a different colour.

I've not tried any other brands due to the costs involved but wouldn't hesitate to go for another pair of these :D (which I am in the process of doing, but which colour 8) )

HTH
  • DrDavros
    DrDavros Posts: 62
    FWIW, my prescription is -9.5 or thereabouts in both eyes. At the moment I've gone the "economy" route with Kontrolsport glasses and a clip-in adaptor - actually a pretty good setup - the adaptor is very good - but not terribly "pretty".

Bike24.com seem to have a whole ramge of (?)new Shimano glasses with an insert system - worth a look and reasonably priced (the insert is the "RX clip adaptor").
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=22315;menu=1000,5,67
    (Bike24 is the German equivalent of Wiggle, BTW - very reliable).

As for glazing the prescription insert: you'll find an enormous variation in prices and as far as I found, most sunglasses retailers either don't handle prescriptions over about -6 or charge through the nose for them if they do.

I got so fed up with being asked to fork out nigh-on £200 for lenses that I embarked on a serious quest to find a someone both cheap(er) and reliable. After a couple of false starts, I came across an outfit called ciliaryblue.com - a "proper" optical lab somewhere in the Midlands - but who will glaze frames at my prescription with high-index lenses for about £100 a pair - with a 3-day turnaround (I have no connection to them at all, BTW, I just like saving money!). They've glazed a couple of frames for me and I wouldn't use anyone else now.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Salice 826 have a larger insert than Oakleys, more like the Rudy ones but considerably cheaper. I got these direct from local optician with CR39 lenses in the inserts. Work well, I'm very pleased with them...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    DrDavros wrote:
    FWIW, my prescription is -9.5 or thereabouts in both eyes. At the moment I've gone the "economy" route with Kontrolsport glasses and a clip-in adaptor - actually a pretty good setup - the adaptor is very good - but not terribly "pretty".

Bike24.com seem to have a whole ramge of (?)new Shimano glasses with an insert system - worth a look and reasonably priced (the insert is the "RX clip adaptor").
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=22315;menu=1000,5,67
    (Bike24 is the German equivalent of Wiggle, BTW - very reliable).

As for glazing the prescription insert: you'll find an enormous variation in prices and as far as I found, most sunglasses retailers either don't handle prescriptions over about -6 or charge through the nose for them if they do.

I got so fed up with being asked to fork out nigh-on £200 for lenses that I embarked on a serious quest to find a someone both cheap(er) and reliable. After a couple of false starts, I came across an outfit called ciliaryblue.com - a "proper" optical lab somewhere in the Midlands - but who will glaze frames at my prescription with high-index lenses for about £100 a pair - with a 3-day turnaround (I have no connection to them at all, BTW, I just like saving money!). They've glazed a couple of frames for me and I wouldn't use anyone else now.

Had a chat with them yesterday, but sadly, they are unable to help

will look into other options thanks
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.