Canyon Ownership Experience

supaweb
supaweb Posts: 10
edited July 2011 in MTB general
As a Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 owner I thought I would share my ownership experience just to add another view to the discussions I see are ongoing...

Overall build quality was good - I have worked as a bike mechanic so have some experience.

In my opinion the assembly on bike was in general at least comparable with the build quality you could expect from your LBS - not scientific just based on my experiences, experiences of ridding buddies, etc.

However, one issue did develop after a few rides - One of the suspension bearings (mounting the rocker arm to the seat-tube) became very loose.

I obtained torque settings from Canyon very quickly and after re-setting the bolts I have been monitoring with a calibrated torque wrench after every ride. No loosening at all so far and I haven't added any loctite to the bolts.

My conclusion - The bolt wasn't tightened correctly in the factory.

In terms of the cable rub issue - my cable routing is correct but did cause minor rub on the weld - easily solved with some electrical tape.

So I think if you're new to biking or mechanically inexperienced you need to enlist the help of friends to give the bike a once over on arrival to be 100% sure.

My experience of the customer service was good - responsive, polite, prompt and helpful.

And the ride? Absolutely superb :)

Cheers
J

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This is starting to get worse than Orange fanbois.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So I think if you're new to biking or mechanically inexperienced you need to enlist the help of friends to give the bike a once over on arrival to be 100% sure.

This is the same for all mail order bikes. Checking bolts is part and parcel of any bike.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    My rear mach failed after 1 ride.

They stil dont know what to do about it, that was 2 days ago.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    I don't think I'm allowed to tell you that that can happen with any manufacturer, and does not reflect upon Canyon at all, since they did not manufacture the rear mech.

So instead, I'll say... Fluffy kittens.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

have you suggested to them tom that you'll get it fixed and they can pick up the bill? or sending the mech back and getting them to replace it?
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    I don't think I'm allowed to tell you that that can happen with any manufacturer, and does not reflect upon Canyon at all, since they did not manufacture the rear mech.

So instead, I'll say... Fluffy kittens.

Will dohhhh.. I kow that its Srams fault, thats why Canyon are being slow about replacing it.
  • Anonymous
    I probably shouldn't say that I don't reckon Canyon should replace the rear mech either.

Fluffy kittens.
  • welshkev
    I probably shouldn't say that I don't reckon Canyon should replace the rear mech either.

Fluffy kittens.

why not? surely it's a warranty issue?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    welshkev wrote:

Fluffy kittens.

Because resopnsability for fixing these things is with the end retailer the shop not supplier.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

Fluffy kittens.

Because resopnsability for fixing these things is with the end retailer the shop not supplier.

but canyon bikes come direct from canyon don't they?
  • Anonymous
    welshkev wrote:

Fluffy kittens.

What, a rear mech? Who knows? Could be crash damage, could be a slipped cable (in which case it's hardly worth taking off the to send it back to fix!), could be anything.
    rear mechs are destroyed all the time, they're practically sacrificial parts.
    Should your wheels be warranted against not staying true?
  • welshkev
    What, a rear mech? Who knows? Could be crash damage, could be a slipped cable (in which case it's hardly worth taking off the to send it back to fix!), could be anything.
    rear mechs are destroyed all the time, they're practically sacrificial parts.
    Should your wheels be warranted against not staying true?

true, but what tom is saying is that it literally stopped working and that he's taken it to a LBS and they've said it's faulty..surely that is a case of being replaced under warranty?

i suppose this is one of the pitfalls of buying direct with no come back to a shop so they can check it out

EDIT: just realised that tom didn't say that in this thread, he may have told me that himself
  • Anonymous
    welshkev wrote:
    but what tom is saying is that it literally stopped working and that he's taken it to a LBS and they've said it's faulty..surely that is a case of being replaced under warranty?
    I dunno, as far as I can tell, all he's said is...
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

Now, mech failures are such common things in accidents that I can't imagine them being covered by many warranties.

Not, of course that saying such a thing is allowed.

fluffy kittens.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    but what tom is saying is that it literally stopped working and that he's taken it to a LBS and they've said it's faulty..surely that is a case of being replaced under warranty?
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

Now, mech failures are such common things in accidents that I can't imagine them being covered by many warranties.

fluffy kittens.

i edited the above post as i realised he didn't say that in this thread :oops:
  • Welsh_Tom
    welshkev wrote:
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

fluffy kittens.

You are right sorry i did not say in my post.

kev knows as I posted it here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12790434&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I think its on page 2 in what the lbs said it was faulty, and not from damage.

End of the day, the bike looks lush, but I ended up waiting 7 weeks for it, and after 1 real ride it stoped working.

No not canyon fault in any way. But I am sure sram have a warrnty plan, so canyon only have to pay for it to be posted, so they dont realy lose any money on this.

P.s. I just sent the mach back to canyon, They said sorry that the issus had not been fixed within the 24 hour window for faults. But its going to be a few more days till it is fixed.
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    The way I look at it, I saved about £1000 - £1200 by buying direct from Canyon. The discount partly reflects the cost savings of removing entities from the supply chain, but it's also partially compensating for the increased risk on my part.

Lets face it, if there was no risk, for example of additional delays when there are minor problems, or delivery waits, then there would be no need to price lower than the competition. Canyon could pocket the increased profit. In reality, there are potential downsides, and there is less support than from an LBS, and the price, I think fairly, reflects this.

You pays your money and you make your choice.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.