I've killed another frame

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
After killing my ali framed roadbike in november, I've now snapped the frame on my steel framed fixie (due to my power awesome).
No warning, just an expensive sound after going over a pot hole. I carried on riding up the hill with the frame feeling very floppy but when I stopped to check I found that the very bottom of the seat tube (just above the BB) had completely snapped (pics to follow if I can be bothered).

Time for a new fixie frame.

I'm not too gutted though as I only really planned the Banana as an experiment into riding fixed. I found that I like it so now I will invest in a good steel frame.
Any suggestions?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Steamroller?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Bad luck fella.

Surly or Cotic? They're both good steel options.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Surly Steamroller is at the top of the charts at the moment. Looks like a perfect fixie frameset.

• Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    I got the black and orange mongoose maurice its a really good frame. although I trashed a wheel.... replaced with a deep section one - bought a matching pair but the front was still good so kept it on till its worn out.

only thing I would say is ditch the stem and bars if your putting out power like you say. I put a 50t up front and have a 14/15 on the rear (have a 13t also but that only comes out when I wanna be an idiot) in that config the bars would flex so much is was scary. replaced the stem and got some drops and run a single SRAM Apex front brake, plenty of stopping power and runs like a dream.

More fun than my CAAD9 and stupidly simple :wink:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    If its steel, why not get it welded back up?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Ti frames are apparently industuctable and come often come with lifetime warranty's but are very exspensive.
    I have heard good things about surly bikes as well.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Surely it's still under warranty?

How much do you want to spend? Enigma? Fixie Inc? Condor?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sad for you pal but it's not a surprise really, that very bent rear stay almost guaranteed something would snap eventually, the frame would have been heavily loaded in the wrong places.

Good luck with the hunt for a replacement and take more care with your own safety.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I went through almost exactly the same decision process when I killed the Orbea. I very nearly went for the Surly Pacer (fixed ain't for me), until I sat and thought about it. Let's face it, they're heavy, expensive and made of pig-iron.

The correct answer, as with my case, is a nice Genesis, in your case the Flyer. Same price or cheaper, but made from Reynolds 520, slimmer stays and fast-handling geometry. Triple-butted fork too. Yum.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/flyer
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Face it - You need a frame made from proper Reynolds or Columbus tubing :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The key is not to go over potholes.... :wink:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Bad luck ! Try Ti , I had a Ti Hard tail mountain bike for nearly 10 years and gave it a battering around the hills of South Wales but it was almost as good as new when I sold it !
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    We are talking about a Genesis Day 1 right? Isn't that marketed as a CX single speed? A pothole surely shouldn't cause the frame to snap. I'd definitely be having a word with the shop I bought it from if I were you.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    On One Pompino - most fun you will ever have for £130 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOP/on-one-pompino-frame
  • We are talking about a Genesis Day 1 right? Isn't that marketed as a CX single speed? A pothole surely shouldn't cause the frame to snap. I'd definitely be having a word with the shop I bought it from if I were you.

I seem to remember that it was on old Raleigh Banana that he'd converted.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    1. you have PM
    2. go and see Ash at the cyclestore and get one of their own brand frames (same as pearson but on your doorstep).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    It's your own fault for spending the time fettling. It enjoyed the love and attention, then through a hissy fit as you went through the pot hole.
    Sorry to hear it. Enjoy the hunt for a replacement.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    spasypaddy wrote:
    1. you have PM
    2. go and see Ash at the cyclestore and get one of their own brand frames (same as pearson but on your doorstep).

Hmm, cyclestore.co.uk own brand? Can't find them. Have a link handy?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dhope wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    1. you have PM

Hmm, cyclestore.co.uk own brand? Can't find them. Have a link handy?
    the website is utter tripe
    http://www.premiercycles.co.uk/

its a proper old skool bike shop.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Pull yourself together and get it repaired. Like this chap did.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKE_38BPM
    It was an old Raleigh Banana frame (18-23) that I had rescued from a bush in a mate's garden, where it had been for at least 15 years.
    As ITB said, one of the seat stays was bent and I've got no doubt that that is the reason for the failure. Its such an old, cheap frame that I don't think it is worth repairing. I don't think that the Raleigh warranty lasts for 20+ years! There was no rust internally or externally and it went without any warning. I'm so glad I didn't do the Dynamo. Happening on the way home is not great, happening in the middle of nowhere would have been so much worse.

I'd love a Ti frame, but my pockets are not deep enough at the moment. One day, eh?
    I'll have a look at Cyclestore, Genesis, Condor, Surly and On One frames.

The pot hole was impossible to avoid due to traffic and my inability to bunny-hop a fixie. I knew I should practice that skill more. I'm very impressed with my wheels for not giving up the ghost too (Mavic Aksium front and Varno rear).

Until I sort out a new frame, I'll be riding a Vitamin that I have very slightly upped the gearing on. Not a fun prospect in anything longer than the short to medium term.

Edit: I've just read and replied to your PM Spassy.

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Bob Jackson Vigorelli £413

That is all

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/produ ... cts_id=307
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Coach H wrote:
    Bob Jackson Vigorelli £413

That is all

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/produ ... cts_id=307

That was very much plan A when I broke the Orbea. If only there hadn't been a six week wait for the off-the-peg frames. Still, very happy with what I got instead.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ... Its such an old, cheap frame that I don't think it is worth repairing...
    +1 I don't think an 18-23 would be worth repairing. I'm surprised that a Banana would have been made of 18-23, mind you- I thought they were a bit more upmarket.
    Any idea if the tubes are seamless? Maybe they made some better frames from 18-23 with higher quality tubesets? You can usually tell by slipping a finger into a tube-end (seat tube is normally easiest) and feeling for the weld-line on the inside. If there's a seam then the tube's been rolled & welded from sheet. Not good.
    Even if they are seamless, I doubt it'd be worth repairing. I would think you'd have to have something brazed together out of butted tubes to warrant that, though I'm open to being corrected on this. Anyone think otherwise?

Cheers,
    W.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    +1 I don't think an 18-23 would be worth repairing. I'm surprised that a Banana would have been made of 18-23, mind you- I thought they were a bit more upmarket.

The Bananas came in a variety of grades. Bog standard (501?), 531, 531c and I have heard rumours of some being higher.
    Whether it is worthy of repair would come down to condition and grade. I would say no if it is a bog standard one.
    Even then, the rider may not feel 100% secure out on it.
    Eke's choice...........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Like EKE said, it was pulled out of a hedge, and the seat stay was bent before the frame snapped - good for scrap only
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I gave it a quick look, looked more 531 than 501 to me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm liking that Bob Jackson. And they do a chrome option. Arrrrggggghhhhhh!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Any suggestions?

Orange R8 HT MTB, Reynolds 853 rides lovely ans smooth.

Best commuting frame (touch wood) I have had.

Just fitted a Hope Pro2 Evo SP Mavix EX721 rear wheel
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Can you not just get it welded?