Any body worn out a isis left hand pedal arm?

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Hi as above really because after a lot of fitting and refitting it turns out this is what iv done, how i dont know.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will have done any or all of these.

crossed the threads.

ridden with a lose pedal.

Overtightened the pedal stripping the threads.

most likely the first 2.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    nicklouse wrote:

crossed the threads.

most likely the first 2.

loose :wink:
  • little wiser
    Nice try nick but sorry to upset but your wrong it was not on the pedal side put the bottom bracket side, old bottom bracket worn, replaced, then annoying clicking feeling from left hand arm when under load.
    Oh and new chain, cassete, and middle ring and new jockey wheels.
    I only ask as its took a long time to work out where it was coming from and you could say im ok with tools as its my job so no loose bolts or cross threading going on hear :D
  • little wiser
    welshkev wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

crossed the threads.

most likely the first 2.

loose :wink:

And our survey says wrong lol
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Nice try Nick sorry to upset you but you're wrong.It was not on the pedal side but the bottom bracket side.Old bottom bracket worn, replaced, then annoying clicking feeling from left hand arm when under load.
    Oh and new chain, cassette,middle ring and new jockey wheels.
    I only ask as it's taken a long time to work out where it was coming from and you could say I'm OK with tools as it's my job,so no loose bolts or cross threading going on here: :D
    :wink:
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Woop woop. Sound of the grammar Police :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    mudsucker wrote:
    Woop woop. Sound of the grammar Police :D

well it's not grammar is it, it's spelling :lol::wink:

and nick always has an opportunity to correct me in my technical faux pas so i couldn't resisit :lol:
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Welshkev. Just messing about fella :D Was more talking about the corrections to little wiser's post. Don't mind me, I'm a touch bored!

After all, It's an internet forum. It's not letters to the Queen :lol:
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • nicklouse
    Nice try nick but sorry to upset but your wrong it was not on the pedal side put the bottom bracket side, old bottom bracket worn, replaced, then annoying clicking feeling from left hand arm when under load.
    Oh and new chain, cassete, and middle ring and new jockey wheels.
    I only ask as its took a long time to work out where it was coming from and you could say im ok with tools as its my job so no loose bolts or cross threading going on hear :D

well try using the correct terminology then.

it is a Crank . so you are saying you have worn out the ISIS splines on the crank?

so nothing to do with the pedals at all. so why mention them?

yes they can be worn out through under tightening, using when lose and if fitted and removed many many times they can be deformed but the action of the taper and will no longer fit tightly when the reach the stop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I think a better question is "has anybody not worn out an ISIS crank arm?".
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I think a better question is "has anybody not worn out an ISIS crank arm?".
    but what is the not doing in there? :wink:
  • Having had several ISIS BB's (decent-ish FSA Platinums if I remember correctly?) fail after moderate useage the question should be more like:

"My sh***y ISIS crank has finally failed, thank hell I can change the system to something better and justify it to my wife/husband//girlfriend/boyfriend etc, what do you recommend!?"

I've ditched mine for some heavy duty M341 cranks(ooooh not very light but strong) and an ES51 octalink BB which will hopefully last more than a few hundred miles...
    ISIS sucks I'd even go square taper before resorting back to it....
    Just my opinion of course! :wink: