Custom GT.

jklash1987
jklash1987 Posts: 136
edited April 2016 in Your mountain bikes
This is my Custom GT.
I bought the Frame for £72 in January, and it is my first MTB build.
Sorry for the Messy cabeling.

291j48w.jpg
etadtf.jpg
2u8w5xv.jpg
2l8akn7.jpg
sbovmf.jpg
2w4i437.jpg
hthdsx.jpg
2ljtbts.jpg
1zzmj4p.jpg
2lwm439.jpg
zl5jc9.jpg
10neq6a.jpg

Frame: GT Aggressor XCR S/16"
Forks: RockShox Reba SL - 120mm (Pop-Loc)
Bars: Easton EA50 0° Rise, 680mm.
Stem: Thomson X4 Elite 90mm
Headset: FSA (Came with Frame) with NC-17 top cap.

Front Brake: Avid Juicey 3 / 203mm
Rear Braker: Avid Juicey 3 / 203mm
Hoses: Clarks

Shifters: SLX 3X9
Cables: SLX
Outer Housing: Jagawire
Front Mech: XT
Rear Mech: XT

Seat: IFizik Gobi XM
Seat Post: ritchey comp 27.2mm

Chainset :SLX Tripple 44/32/22T
Bottom Bracket: SLX HTII
Cassette: N/A (Came With Wheels)
Pedals: Fatality Seventeen V2

(Wheels are from a Specialized Rock-Hopper)
Rims: Alex Rims
Hubs: Specialized
Spokes: N/A Black, with Red Nipples
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1

I am 5'9", and even though the frame is small, it suits me quite well.

Comments

• Galfinnan
    Galfinnan Posts: 49
    I think its a really nice looking bike, from your comment about the cabling its clear so you realise its a bit all over the place. The cabling takes the edge off it a bit but still a really nice looking bike. Would like to see it also with plain black tyres, would look a little bit understated but sometimes less is more. Still overall looks nice, I wouldn't mind owning it myself.
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    You really need to sort that front hose out. Route on the inside of the fork leg and fit the brake lever after you've got the hose routed correctly use the hose nut to finish it to keep it line. The cable for the fork lockout is begging to be snagged by branch too.

Nice build though, I like my GT's, good solid bikes.
  • jklash1987
    CraigXXL wrote:
    You really need to sort that front hose out. Route on the inside of the fork leg and fit the brake lever after you've got the hose routed correctly use the hose nut to finish it to keep it line. The cable for the fork lockout is begging to be snagged by branch too.

Nice build though, I like my GT's, good solid bikes.

Cheers, I'l do it tomorro when I get back from work, Il order some more Olives & Barbs from superstar and shortern it I think aswell.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You think you'll shorten it? Its about a mile long!

The others need shortening too, also the poplock cable looks weird, shouldn't that be on the left hand side of the bar?
  • jklash1987
    Briggo wrote:

The others need shortening too, also the poplock cable looks weird, shouldn't that be on the left hand side of the bar?
    jklash1987 wrote:
    This is my Custom GT.

I orderd some more fittings from superstar for the brake hose.
    Once I am satisifighed the gear cables have streched, when I re-index them, I will address the outer housing length.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jklash1987 wrote:

Once I am satisifighed the gear cables have streched, when I re-index them, I will address the outer housing length.

good luck. there is a very high chance you will be changing the inners again.

So dont wait get new inners for the cable and get the gears sorted for starters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jklash1987
    nicklouse wrote:
    jklash1987 wrote:

good luck. there is a very high chance you will be changing the inners again.

So dont wait get new inners for the cable and get the gears sorted for starters.

Inner gear cable, why?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    jklash1987 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

jklash1987 wrote:
    This is my Custom GT.

Well done for bolding that, anyway I didnt mention that it was a mess I was refering to your previous post where you said you'll think you'll shorten the hose.

Whats to think about ;)
  • jklash1987
    edited July 2011
    Well done for bolding that.

Your Welcome

I didnt mention that it was a mess I was refering to your previous post where you said you'll think you'll shorten the hose.

I think you read the think part to Literal, I type how I speak.
    Thank you for showing concern though :)
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i think it looks like a good effort there.

thats a whopper of a rear disc though!!

looks nicely coordinated, i approve.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Awesome looking bike, nice work :D
  • jklash1987
    So, with apologies to revive this thread from the dead, but I thought I would swing by and say hello.

The custom GT Pretty much changed strait after this, since the frame was too small for me, so I found another, but larger GT frame on eBay.

By Winter 2011, it pretty much looked like this

294mkbt.jpg
    j6req0.jpg

At the time, and due to commitments, I really much only used it for commuting

8ys76x.jpg

This is pretty much how it looked when I was working around and living Sheffield.

Moving back to work in London/Essex, it was pretty much left to one side as I was using more motored transport. At one point it was left in a Locknstore for a few months.

Due to a different career opportunity and relocating to Birmingham, I gave the now old GT, a new lease of life and now it is more of a hyrbrid/city type bike...

15clgms.jpg
    209ojgh.jpg
    2dkihjr.jpg

32/35c tires fit with plenty of room, but I think I might of been a bit cocky with these 38c Gravel grinders, as there is only 3.5-4mm clearance from the seat stay bridge

2rmaash.jpg

It rides with no issues however.

It is a great fun to ride around town, single track and gravel like conditions.

The specs have changed considerably to what I posted 5 years ago, except the brakes, cranks and of course, the frame.

J.