4hr enduro - whats the pace like?

abikerider
abikerider Posts: 6
edited July 2011 in XC and Enduro
Hi all,

I'm looking into having a go at a few 4 hour enduro/marathon races (whatever you want to call them) over the Autumn/Winter as a change from the traditional style XC races I usually do.

I'm assuiming enduros are ridden at a slightly steadier pace? Or am I going to be in for a shock when everyone else shoots off flat out. There is no way I could last 4 hours at the sort of effort I usually have to put in - or are some people just super human?

I know this isn't the easiest question to answer, but i'm trying to get a rough idea what to expect (and train for)... My goal at the moment is to complete the 4 hours and not be in last place

Any other tips/advice or things to expect from this type of racing would also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Nicemonkey
    Nicemonkey Posts: 13
    Obviously if you want to try and mix it at the front the speed will be very similar to XC pace but you will probably find that there is a bigger spread of abilities the further down the field you go and will more than likely find some riding at your pace.
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    There are some people out there who appear super human and can ride at xc pace for the 4 hours. However if you can ride non-stop for four hours, you won't finish last. Just make sure you are comfortable riding for four hours without a break.

The pace is normally fast at the start, it will settle down after a while. If you are not used to riding hard for four hours take it a bit easy at the start, and aim to start slow and finish strong. Nothing worse than blowing up after an hour and then have to struggle around for the remaining three... Personally I normally try to ride hard for the first 30-60 mins and then settle back into a more sustainable pace for the remainder of the race.

Over that sort of time food and drink plays a role. Energy drinks, gels and/or bars can be useful, test them out on normal rides before using in a race.