Replacement Chainrings - Help

Bike Bloke
Bike Bloke Posts: 172
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

My big chainring has some mangled teeth that's causing some irritating chain skip, so I'm looking for a replacement.

It's a Truvativ Stylo Team crankset from 2006, a quick search and I haven't seen any direct replacements, I take it any 4 bolt outer ring will do the job? Any recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    You can get the chain rings through Fisher outdoors but they ain't cheap. but be warned I replaced my inner and middle with non Truvativ makes because I thought. Yeah 104 BCD 4 bolt that will work. It didn't! Not sure if it's the spacing or what but when i shifted from top to middle the chain would sit in between the two rings, swapped back to a Truvativ ring and problem went away. I tried a Middleburn and a Shimano ring. Not sure if you'll get the same problem with the outer.
  • Bike Bloke
    Thanks for the info. If I'm honest I've wanted to bin it for a while, but typically funds don't currently allow...so I might just add a new crankset to the list!
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    Yeah The Truvativ standards seem to be out of whack with pretty much everthing. If mine would just die spectacularly I would get some new XT cranks, can't really knock the toughness of the crank arms , they have been going since 06! just a shame about the cheese chain rings and bottom brackets.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any 4 bolt 104mm BCD ring will work. Be aware you may or may not need a file to make it fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bike Bloke
    Thanks for the info. Seeing as prices are £25-35 for a "budgetish" ring, I think I'll just take that price off the cost of a new SLX/XT crankset.