Can I mix Centaur and Veloce?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited July 2011 in Workshop
To be precise can I fit a Centaur rear mech, while the rest of the groupset is Veloce.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Should be able to
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Definitely, no compatibility problems what so ever
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Well, as long as they are of the same generations. The new 2011 10-speed Campag kit is supposedly incompatible with the pre-2010 stuff. Just watch out for the old and new style logos.

The new 10-speed gear uses the 11-speed cable pull (to supposedly help with future upgrades).
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I say ' supposedly' as that's only from the Campag manuals and real life may be more forgiving... :)
  • Ultra Torque chainrings are not interchangeable but the rest of the group set is. The chainrings have slightly different spacings between veloce and centaur/chorus/record on the 2007 or later cranks

Quick Shift vs non-QS has some issues for the front mech but it works. If your front mech is QS and the lever is not (i.e. pre-2007) you may want to route the cable to the other side of the nut that clamps it to the mech thus effectively shortening the lever on the mech a bit. I found that without doing this i had to move the lever more than a full sweep to change up from small ring to large. it worked like that but is perfect if you change the position the cable clamps on.

MG
    M_G
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    gOOse - I now have a new style 2011 Veloce 10 speed rear mech on my winter bike and the gear change is perfect with the pre 2010 QS Xenon lever.
  • west green
    west green Posts: 134
    Thanks for update, this question comes up a lot, and I have reams of notes saved, but it's always handy to know that someone has actually tried it - and it works.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Slight Hijack.

Where does Veloce sit in the Campagnolo range?
    Above or below Centaur
    Prices seem to vary either side so that's no indicator.

Not important though as I am trying to grab bargains on Record as and when I can :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    you need a 10sp chain on a 10speed cassette, but any brand of chain will do

you need to match shifters to cassette, same speed same manufacturer

I've heard people fit a campag 9sp rear derailleur to a shimano 10sp shifter just make sure that the upper and lower limits are set right...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Below
    Cheers!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jamg2412
    jamg2412 Posts: 1

Ultra Torque chainrings are not interchangeable but the rest of the group set is. The chainrings have slightly different spacings between veloce and centaur/chorus/record on the 2007 or later cranks

Quick Shift vs non-QS has some issues for the front mech but it works. If your front mech is QS and the lever is not (i.e. pre-2007) you may want to route the cable to the other side of the nut that clamps it to the mech thus effectively shortening the lever on the mech a bit. I found that without doing this i had to move the lever more than a full sweep to change up from small ring to large. it worked like that but is perfect if you change the position the cable clamps on.

MG

Hi, it is a old comment but do you have any other advice to setup a Xenon CT QS FD with a Veloce non QS shifter. I am having problems on getting good shifting between small and big chainring, sometimes it doesn't work.
    Alberto