2012 Specialized Range - When will it be available to buy?

Tegglington
Tegglington Posts: 65
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Evening All,

Being quite new to the market I'm after some advice really.

Lately I have been looking for a new steed to commute with and decided on the Specialzed Sirrus Sport. However, after some conversation with work and Halfords (Cycle to work Scheme) They don't seem to be able to source me one due to lack of availabliity, which in course is down to the new range coming out for 2012.

Am I really going to have to wait until 2012 before I can order something new? I have found various site detailing the Sirrus Elite 2012, but this is just a little too expensive for me.

Will Specialized still provide the Sport, but just release it a bit later?

I'm so confused......

any help gratefully received

Comments

• ESHER SHORE
    ESHER SHORE Posts: 818
    the bike industry "model year" starts at the end of the Summer, or sometimes earlier if key models have sold out and big distributors like Specialized will bring 2012 model into the UK early(July) to satisfy demand

best thing to do is talk to a local Specialized dealer and ask them to find out what the due date is for your chosen bike, and place a firm order (this will then be "allocated" by Specialized UK meaning its pre-sold)
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Another thing to consider is that the release of a new model year may depress the prices for current stock. Often changes are little more than a paint job but sometimes specifications can change (in both directions) so it pays to compare details closely.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Thanks All, panic over!

I guess the application form for the cycle to work scheme will have to wait until i can get a good look at the new models....however details are arising for the Sirrus Elite 2012......looks pretty good, apart from it being in silver! not a fan lol.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Sirrus-Elite-2012-Road-Bike_47034.htm
  • Stanley222 - Now thats a pretty bike!

I shall be researching my local specialzed dealer and seeing if they have any more info. will also try Specialzed directly.

Thank you sir!
    The excitement returns!
  • Well my LBS have told me that they will view the full new range in mid August. Then they will decide on what to stock. So hopefully not too long to wait....sorry Stanley222 looks like we will have to wait!

Roll on September!
  • So I have just contacted the Cycle scheme and they can source me a 2011 Sirrus Sport for £450.

Now, do I order this and be happy that I finally have a bike on order (in black) or wait and see if the 2012 range will be any better (and possibly in silver)?

decisions decisions!
  • I have to wait for work to organise themselves with the cycle to work scheme and it looks like they wont be ready till next week anyway.

got all excited for nothing ....... hurrumpffffffff!!!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I have to wait for work to organise themselves with the cycle to work scheme and it looks like they wont be ready till next week anyway.

got all excited for nothing ....... hurrumpffffffff!!!

More than 400,000 UK residents have bought new bikes at cut-price rates since the Cycle to Work scheme was introduced in 1999, but a new decision on VAT puts its future at threat.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/vat-to-be-charged-on-cycle-to-work-bikes-31162
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Interesting article.

Unfortunately, if it wasn't for the cycle to work scheme I wouldnt be buying anything new. I just cannot afford it.

It's a shame that i wont be making as much saving as i originally thought, however its still a saving, and i get a new bike with 0% interest.

gutted, but theres not a lot i can do :(

again...... hurrumpffffffff!!! LOL
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    In previous years the new models have usually been made available to retailers between the end of July and mid September (depending on the model). 2010 Tarmac and Roubaix models were released in late August 2009 - and hit the stores in mid September - but 2010 MTBs had been around from late July.

Bob
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    So I have just contacted the Cycle scheme and they can source me a 2011 Sirrus Sport for £450.

Now, do I order this and be happy that I finally have a bike on order (in black) or wait and see if the 2012 range will be any better (and possibly in silver)?

decisions decisions!

Well let me offer my opinion....

I've got the 2011 Sirrus Sport and it's a fantastic bike for the price. Smooth shifting and very responsive, it is lightening too - basically a flat bar roadie. I highly recommend it.

However, if I could swap it for the 2012 edition I definitely would!!!!
  • Still nothing on the new range. getting rather twitchy and might be tempted by the 2011 model by the end of the week.....
  • So contacted the Specialized UK FB page and they seem to think september for new details.... can I wait much longer?
  • Finally! the new steed is ordered! cannot wait!

Does anyboday have any experience with pre built bikes then being delivered? apparently I will just have to turn and tighten the handlebars and put a peddle on. sounds pretty straight forward but should I be looking out for anything else? Chain lubed, air pressure in tyres etc?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im told my Sectuer will be in the country the 20th of September

whether it is or not is a different story
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The chain will have factory grease on it, and yes, you should check the tyres. You'll also have to set the saddle to the right height, adjust the bars if they're not comfortable, possibly fit pedals.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."