A lonely hobby..... (Gisburn/Lee/Cragg)

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
I'm just about progressing from knackered old bike pootling round footpaths to new gear and venturing to trail centres. Nearest to me is Gisburn and Lee/Cragg quarries.

Unfortunately for me, the missus and my mates aren't interested so I'm heading out alone.

Is going alone frowned upon? (I'm thinking if I smash my face in I might not get found for a while!!) And I don't want to get in anyone's way!!

Anyone got some basic tips for a beginner at these two venues? I'm obviously not just gonna throw myself round as fast as I can and hope for the best just yet!

Comments

• toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Where do you live?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look in the Rides, sure you will find people to hook up with.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    have a look the web for a club to join or ask round here for buddies.

Other than that all you can do is minimise the risks as much as you sensibly can. Take ID with you, tell someone where you are going and roughly how long you'll be out. Don't go mental and start launching off crazy drops that are well beyond your abilities etc ...

sometimes there is no option but to ride on your own or no riding at all.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I'm just about progressing from knackered old bike pootling round footpaths to new gear and venturing to trail centres. Nearest to me is Gisburn and Lee/Cragg quarries.

Unfortunately for me, the missus and my mates aren't interested so I'm heading out alone.

Is going alone frowned upon? (I'm thinking if I smash my face in I might not get found for a while!!) And I don't want to get in anyone's way!!

Anyone got some basic tips for a beginner at these two venues? I'm obviously not just gonna throw myself round as fast as I can and hope for the best just yet!

if you are going to trail centres it should not be long before someone comes by to scrape you off the floor (or run you over) :lol: but yeah check rides, and get social., just cos it is more fun tbh :)
  • goldilocks
    goldilocks Posts: 30
    Jealous!! Some great trails up there, just done the Singletract weekender @ Lee Quarry! Personally am miles away :cry: but you can always find ppl riding nearby, try the rides on here.
  • I'm from Blackpool, so I'll head to Grizedale at some point too

It's not so much biking alone, I don't mind that, more is it "bad form" to go it alone!!?

Anyone know any other places to check out round here?
  • toastedone
    If you cycle alone always have a phone with you and some ID where people can find it if need be.
  • cooldad
    After a few of us in our regular group having had bad accidents recently, including some fractured vertebrae, concussions, a number of broken ribs, a few ambulances and one stay in intensive care, I'm quite careful now when riding alone.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I'm from Blackpool, so I'll head to Grizedale at some point too

It's not so much biking alone, I don't mind that, more is it "bad form" to go it alone!!?

Anyone know any other places to check out round here?

Hi

I'm also a newbie to mountin biking and also from Blackpool (Weeton). 'Im in a similar situation to you as I don't know anyone who rides and my husband isnt interested.

Had planned to go to Gisburne yesterday but the weather wasn't really on my side :(

Perhaps we could arrange a ride sometime.

Sarah
  • toastedone
    I was at Gisburn yesterday the weather was bad but still had fun.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Riding alone isnt frowned upon, many do it, it has its advantages such as not having to wait for the slackers to catch up :P I certainly enjoy a solo ride, as well as riding with others. - queue inuendos.

Just riding in pairs/groups has its advantages i.e. you can pretend you're the best rider in the world till the ground proves you otherwise.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    I'm from Bolton and up for rides. Only problem is i don't have access to a car. Gos a shoud the Original Poster or Sarah. Be nice have a ride with some local peeps.
  • cooldad wrote:
    After a few of us in our regular group having had bad accidents recently, including some fractured vertebrae, concussions, a number of broken ribs, a few ambulances and one stay in intensive care, I'm quite careful now when riding alone.

Well that's a confidence booster if ever I've seen one!! :shock: I'll take it easy.....

Hmm... Dizzy? Blonde? I'm guessing just 3 years younger than me? Just round the corner? Common interest? What would my girlfriend say!!? Haha :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Well that's a confidence booster if ever I've seen one!! :shock: I'll take it easy.....
    Probably because we are pretty rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Hmm... Dizzy? Blonde? I'm guessing just 3 years younger than me? Just round the corner? Common interest? What would my girlfriend say!!? Haha :wink:

Lol, probably something similar to what my husband would say :lol:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Be brave, chat to people when riding - you will quickly find people who ride near you. I ride alone more often than not for training rides, but I'm always up for a ride with others even if they don't fancy the kind of riding I do. Also put in for a few cycle events and you will meet others.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I live in Barnoldswick and we ride every Sunday morning sometime local trails but we do go Lee and Gisburn at least twice a month so if you want to tag along your welcome, this Sunday is the Hope cross country series at Lee, pop along and watch the action.

Just drop me a pm and I can let you know what and were we are going, 3 of us usually 41 to 55 age group.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    have a look in the rides section for "slow rides" , good group and mix of people that meet up quite regularly.
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I'm in Preston and work shifts so ride alone quite often through the week. You just have to be a bit more careful. I changed from spd's to flats as I came off because I couldn't unclip in time. Gisburn can be fairly quiet mid week. I quite like being out on my own. Although company is good too. Often someone will catch you up or vice versa and you ride together. My missus flaps a bit about me being alone but a call at start and end keeps her sweet and don't mention any off's.
  • I'm a shift worker too so will be going mid-week mostly.

Actually made my first trip to Gisburn on Tuesday! (Tried to find it on Monday, got lost, got angry, came home.) Found it easily second time round.

Took it easy and did the red route on my old bike without incident. Did Hully Gully which could be considered stupid on my first ride, but found it to be ok (big smiles to be had there!) The high berms were ok, but there's a rocky drop off after them I carried my bike down, and The Slab looks impossible!! Won't be attempting that any time soon!

Bumped into Ed Oxley of Great Rock fame randomly. As I was pushing my bike up a big hill at the time, contemplating curling up and dying of exhaustion, my brain wasn't operating at full speed and I blurted out "I know you off Youtube!" like some sort of pre-pubescent, starstruck schoolgirl. He offered wise words: "It never stops hurting, you just get faster" before returning into the trees like a two-wheeled, bearded Yoda.

Great day overall.

New bike arrived this morning, Vitus Zircon 0.1. Brief test ride proved all good. If I can work out how to, I'll post a pic on the new ride thread.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Bumped into Ed Oxley of Great Rock fame randomly. As I was pushing my bike up a big hill at the time, contemplating curling up and dying of exhaustion, my brain wasn't operating at full speed and I blurted out "I know you off Youtube!" like some sort of pre-pubescent, starstruck schoolgirl. He offered wise words: "It never stops hurting, you just get faster" before returning into the trees like a two-wheeled, bearded Yoda.

That made me chuckle. Ed's a totally top guy... done a couple of courses with him and it improved my riding no end.

Next time you go, don't forget to drop by the Dog and partridge at Tosside. very bike friendly. The food is just what you need... big chips n burgers with ice cold beer to wash it down with. :D

Tim, the landlord is a biker and spends a lot of his time rebuilding and creating new trails at Gisburn. He was involved in the new freeride section that's sponsored by Hope.

The pub website (done by me) is here: http://www.gisburnforestbikes.co.uk

That's me in the background on the green Ragley (can only see this on larger screen resolutions)

I live in Calderdale and there's some fantastic riding over this way as well. Be more than happy to rustle up a ride if anyone is interested. Just be warned... the only way is up :-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Well done fella, The slab is ok to do once you get up there it looks worse than it is, honest.

Sounds like you had a great day and thats what its all about.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Love Gisburn and can't wait to visit again. Just its a once a month or every two months only for me due to the lack of Car :( And the fact it costs £30 on the Train there from Bolton.

Will have to get someone drive me up there, as I'm itching to get back.
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    mac man wrote:
    (snip)

5725294075_f0e61f821d_z.jpg

:shock: :shock:
    Crap! That's it, I'm useless and selling my bike! :cry:
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    bentes wrote:
    mac man wrote:
    (snip)

5725294075_f0e61f821d_z.jpg

:shock: :shock:
    Crap! That's it, I'm useless and selling my bike! :cry:

LOL... I thought that at first when I did a course with Ed. It looks pretty scary at first but is pretty easy to roll. It really is just about confidence and not bottling it.

I remember on the day Ed saying to us as a group.. "ok we're just going to roll this drop here". And we're all like 'F*ck that dude....' Anyhoo he shows us how to roll it and it looked soooo easy. One guy tried it without crashing, then another, and another, so then it was my turn.

Bit nervous... but a piece of cake in the end.

BTW.. that drop isn't actually part of the main trail itself.

However... there's some bigger stuff in the new freeride area :-)

And some 3-4 foot drops in the DH section. :lol:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Frank, it's ok to ride on your own, just ride inside your limits.
  • velvet
    velvet Posts: 22
    I pretty much ride alone as I work long hours. I ride up at Lee and Cragg Quarry every Friday evening, and often I'm the only person up there. i have a phone, a whistle and try really hard not to fall off.

You are more than welcome to meet up any Friday and pootle around the quarries.