Cameron should fall on his sword

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
If one of the top Rozzers had to fall on his sword due to criticism of recruiting Neil Wallis and the guy that hired him, Met Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates, has also met with his gladius. Then isn't it a matter of time until Cameron partakes in this honorable Roman tradition for employing Andy Coulson?

Cameron won't! And it's clear that he is trying to distance himself from all of this as much as possible. So that leaves the obvious...

How long do you think it will be before Red Ed targets Cameron and calls for him to follow the Rozzers and fall on his sword?

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    edited July 2011
    Why should Cameron resign? He has not done anything wrong.

Think you will find Stephenson resigned not for hiring Wallis, but because his position became untenable after taking a 5 week luxuary break at Champneys as a freebie.

Irrespective of who is emoployed or owns Champneys, the police have to be seen to be free of bribes and bungs and what else could a 5 week freebie be considered as other than a bribe or bung

[edit] Was it 3 weeks instead of 5?[/edit]
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think when there is a major scandal like this, the people involved should really fall on their sword (or commit harikiri). Just quitting (to work on the after dinner speech circuit) doesn't cut it for me.

But then, that takes a sense of honour and how many politicians have that?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:

Think you will find Stephenson resigned not for hiring Wallis, but because his position became untenable after taking a 5 week luxuary break at Champneys as a freebie.

Irrespective of who is emoployed or owns Champneys, the police have to be seen to be free of bribes and bungs and what else could a 5 week freebie be considered as other than a bribe or bung
    A get well soon present to a mate?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    spen666 wrote:

[edit] Was it 3 weeks instead of 5?[/edit]

Every day it appears Cameron knew/knows more about the scandal both about the people he hires and decides to let into #10 and the police, whether that's corruption or illegally influencing the police.

If it continues like this, Cameron as prime minister will become untenable, and he will have to be replaced by another Tory.

It could very well not continue like this, in which case, he's fine. Odds have him 20/1 to resign, so he'll probably be OK.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

A get well soon present to a mate?

That's the point. Even if that were so and there wasn't anything wrong what so ever it still looks like one in this current atmosphere. Had the current scandal not broken it'd likely never get mentioned ever. It's all by association. I'd like to see a question put to Rebekah along the lines of: So were you so shit you a) didn't know what your high level managers were authorising plus b) so careless to let them do this off their own bat or did you really not know about any of it?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So we call on those where something happens 'on their watch' to resign, anything Andy Collusion did wrong was BEFORE he worked for Cameron, on that basis why should he go?

There may be many reasons for him to go, this is not one of them!

On a related subject, did anyone else listen to the sub commitee grilling John Yates - outrageous, did any of them actually listen to a word he said? They should hang their heads in shame.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How long do you think it will be before Red Ed targets Cameron and calls for him to follow the Rozzers and fall on his sword?

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks!

It begins:

The rage of Red Ed
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    So we call on those where something happens 'on their watch' to resign, anything Andy Collusion did wrong was BEFORE he worked for Cameron, on that basis why should he go?

But what Coulson did before was illegal, probably, and Cameron was made aware of it.

Thus, you have to question Cameron's judgement, especially given the capacity in which Coulson was employed.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    i feel a major TROLL coming on ??????
  • spen666
    ....Every day it appears Cameron knew/knows more about the scandal both about the people he hires and decides to let into #10 and the police, whether that's corruption or illegally influencing the police.

If it continues like this, Cameron as prime minister will become untenable, and he will have to be replaced by another Tory.

It could very well not continue like this, in which case, he's fine. Odds have him 20/1 to resign, so he'll probably be OK.

Really? Lets look at a few facts:

1. Cameron did not hire Yates, nor Hayman, Nor Stephenson - so you can't be referring to any of these people

2. Rebecca Brooks - not hired by Cameron and apart from being a contact, there is NO EVIDENCE of any wrong doing in the relationship between the two. NI is a major player in the media and all political parties have tried to court them. Indeed it seems the most recent political leader to meet Murdoch was Ed Milliband - should he therefore resign

3. Andy Coulson - he did nothing wrong whilst employed by Cameron. Are we saying that someone who may or may not have done something wrong should never be allowed to be employed again. If you are castigating Cameron for employing Coulson, that is effectively what you are saying. At the time Camerion employed Coulson it was not thought by anyone publically that he was involved in the 2006 case. He had not even been arrested or interviewed as a suspect in that inquiry.

There is nothing that has come out that suggests Cameron weas more involved or knew more than 3 months ago or longer.

But hey, in your need to get a lynch mob up, don't let facts worry you

Twittering @spen_666
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thus, you have to question Cameron's judgement, especially given the capacity in which Coulson was employed.

Resigning issue or not - he has rotten taste in friends........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But what Coulson did before was illegal, probably, and Cameron was made aware of it.
    You have proof of that? When he was hired in 2006 their was never any suggestion of his involvement in anything illegal, by the time there was any overt suggestion he was he had gone, poor judgment maybe, but not something to resign over.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    spen666 wrote:
    ....Every day it appears Cameron knew/knows more about the scandal both about the people he hires and decides to let into #10 and the police, whether that's corruption or illegally influencing the police.

1. Cameron did not hire Yates, nor Hayman, Nor Stephenson - so you can't be referring to any of these people

2. Rebecca Brooks - not hired by Cameron and apart from being a contact, there is NO EVIDENCE of any wrong doing in the relationship between the two. NI is a major player in the media and all political parties have tried to court them. Indeed it seems the most recent political leader to meet Murdoch was Ed Milliband - should he therefore resign

3. Andy Coulson - he did nothing wrong whilst employed by Cameron. Are we saying that someone who may or may not have done something wrong should never be allowed to be employed again. If you are castigating Cameron for employing Coulson, that is effectively what you are saying. At the time Camerion employed Coulson it was not thought by anyone publically that he was involved in the 2006 case. He had not even been arrested or interviewed as a suspect in that inquiry.

There is nothing that has come out that suggests Cameron weas more involved or knew more than 3 months ago or longer.

But hey, in your need to get a lynch mob up, don't let facts worry you

This, I feel, is being a little generous. It was bad judgment by Cameron, first employing him and then not getting rid at the first sign of trouble. He'll only have himself to blame if things get worse from here on in. In which case, roll on Prime Minister Boris :shock: :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    spen666 wrote:

No. I'm not.
    spen666 wrote:

I never said there was.
    spen666 wrote:

It's absolutely true that Cameron was informed by many people about Coulson and his background (to do with phone tapping) before Coulson was employed. Given the capacity in which Coulson was employed, i.e. media relations etc, it's relevant, especially given what appears to be a close bribery relationship between NOTW when Coulson was editor and the police. Given the likely proximity of Coulson to said bribery, or at the very least, illegal phone tapping, (of which Cameron was made known) it should have been a political no brainer to not take Coulson into #10.
    spen666 wrote:

Stuff has, just not in the papers you read! The Guardian (who has done the majority of the investigating to break the case so far) been going on about this for over a year.

[/quote]
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Was hiring Coulson a bad decision - probably not too bad. If you are going to have an ex-tabloid journo managing your communications office you may as well have a good (ethically bad) one. Blair applied the same principle in employing Campbell. And I am sure milliband applied the same principle with Tom Baldwin

I am sure that if you apply a 'whiter than white' principle pretty much all tabloid journos are going to come out looking more than a bit grubby.

so in short - should Cameron fall on his sword, no. not unless Milliband is going to as well.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Any attacks on Cameron from either Ed or Nick will be faux punches only.

They're more interested in attacking the newspapers than each other. Can't think why.

Am I the only one who doesn't really give a sh!t about this 'scandal'. I really don't care if the NOTW hack into celebs voicemails to get stories. Really couldn't care less. Especially when I see the likes of Hugh Grant complaining.

Fair enough the hacking into Milly Dowler's phone crossed a line of 'taste and decency' but did anyone really expect the tabloid press to display taste or decency. It probably was a criminal offence, perverting the course of justice or something but not really worth filling every fucking news broadcast for 2 solid weeks.

Breath.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • spen666

You do except - there was no evidence what Coulson did was illegal (at the time Cameron appointed him) and there certainly was no evidence Cameron was aware of any illegal activity

But as i've said before, never let facts and truth get in the way of a lynch mob

Twittering @spen_666
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Am I the only one who doesn't really give a sh!t about this 'scandal'. I really don't care if the NOTW hack into celebs voicemails to get stories. Really couldn't care less. Especially when I see the likes of Hugh Grant complaining.

Fair enough the hacking into Milly Dowler's phone crossed a line of 'taste and decency' but did anyone really expect the tabloid press to display taste or decency. It probably was a criminal offence, perverting the course of justice or something but not really worth filling every ******* news broadcast for 2 solid weeks.

Breath.

No, you're not alone. It appears to be a press story about the press, which is probably why the press seem to be most interested in it.
    "Hacks caught hacking" shock horror.

Meanwhile there's a famine in Africa, a looming sovereign debt crisis, etc etc.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited July 2011
    Apparently when it was revealed Milly Dowler's phone had been hacked, Cameron was partying with Rebekah and James and plod et al . Which gives them all time to hatch an exit strategy.

As events unfold Rebekah looks more and more like a Lady MacBeth figure and Murdoch senior Mr Burns.

Cameron could be Mr Smithers?

PC Paul Stevens could be Chief Wiggam?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • spen666
    It's absolutely true that Cameron was informed by many people about Coulson and his background (to do with phone tapping) before Coulson was employed. ...

Really and your proof of this?

You are making allegations that are not backed up by anyone with any evidence.

You like others are mud throwing
    spen666 wrote:

Stuff has, just not in the papers you read! The Guardian (who has done the majority of the investigating to break the case so far) been going on about this for over a year.

[/quote]

And here is a great example of you spouting more bollocks. I do read the Grauniad as well as most other papers . It is actually part of my job

There is no evidence ( plenty of slander and bluster though) that Cameron knew of Coulson's involvement in any criminal activity- indeed we do not even know if coulson was involved

Twittering @spen_666
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I'm sorry, but Cameron's insistence that he was giving Coulson a "second chance" is weak and just won't wash. I'm not suggesting that you never give people second chances in life, but Cameron's the PM - he has to have a bloody good reason to take on such a potentially politically-explosive adviser. I don't believe he did it out of the goodness of his heart. Instead, it speaks of the closeness of the upper echelons of the media and government. I can't know the exact reasons behind Cameron's decision, but I will speculate that favours, back-scratching and a more direct line into News International were involved. This may not be the most obvious form of corruption, but the most dangerous types often aren't. I don't think Cameron will resign over it - the game is more to blame than the player - but I do hope it leads to some serious changes, and some safeguards to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    spen666 wrote:

You do except - there was no evidence what Coulson did was illegal (at the time Cameron appointed him) and there certainly was no evidence Cameron was aware of any illegal activity

But as i've said before, never let facts and truth get in the way of a lynch mob

Hey, there's no lynch mob here! It was bad judgment, people have been noting this for months now, its always looked like something that might come back and bite him and now that might be happening. He'll probably get away with it, but really, really bad judgment. I mean, its pretty ruddy obvious that a control freak editor would have an idea idea what the source of his headline stories were. Its similarly implausible that Cameron / his advisers had no inkling that Coulson might have had that knowledge, in spite of his (public) denials.
  • spen666
    AidanR wrote:
    I'm sorry, but Cameron's insistence that he was giving Coulson a "second chance" is weak and just won't wash. I'm not suggesting that you never give people second chances in life, but Cameron's the PM - he has to have a bloody good reason to take on such a potentially politically-explosive adviser. ....
    He did, Coulson was good at his job

Twittering @spen_666
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Cleggers for PM!!!!!

......... or Vince Cable.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    spen666 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    I'm sorry, but Cameron's insistence that he was giving Coulson a "second chance" is weak and just won't wash. I'm not suggesting that you never give people second chances in life, but Cameron's the PM - he has to have a bloody good reason to take on such a potentially politically-explosive adviser. ....
    He did, Coulson was good at his job

So good he was forced to resign from it.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    fidbod wrote:
    so in short - should Cameron fall on his sword, no. not unless Milliband is going to as well.

I'd take that, tbh. :D
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    will3 wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesn't really give a sh!t about this 'scandal'.

Breath.

No, you're not alone. It appears to be a press story about the press,

Meanwhile there's a famine in Africa, a looming sovereign debt crisis, etc etc.

Yep and that is all kicking off big style today. The Euro financial crisis is moving glacially but sooner or later it is going to go off with a serious bang. Italy is having all sorts of problems today :twisted:
  • rick_chasey
    spen666 wrote:

But there was. Plenty of people knew - but they were not allowed to publish it. They let Cameron know.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... dy-ashdown
    To take an example.

Another example, on Newsnight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/n ... 533577.stm

Cameron absolutely knew about Coulson before he hired him.
  • rick_chasey
    Any attacks on Cameron from either Ed or Nick will be faux punches only.

They're more interested in attacking the newspapers than each other. Can't think why.

Fair enough the hacking into Milly Dowler's phone crossed a line of 'taste and decency' but did anyone really expect the tabloid press to display taste or decency. It probably was a criminal offence, perverting the course of justice or something but not really worth filling every ******* news broadcast for 2 solid weeks.

Breath.

The issue is the police corruption. Not only was the NOTW hacking people, bad enough, but they were bribing the police to get away with it. Furthermore, a former aid to Cameron (who resigned as part of the same scandal) was editor during the time this hacking and bribery (probably) occurred, and Cameron was told about it before he hired Coulson.

It's big political news.