Squealing brakes.

Fifenewbie
Fifenewbie Posts: 44
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
How do i stop my brakes from squealing? Bikes been sitting for a while, both front and back brakes are doing this. They`re hydraulic disc brakes, but, not being mechanically minded, I dont know how to adjust them or whatever needs doing. Thanks a lot guys :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you have a look at the topics in the FAQs and worked out what it is that is causing the noise?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some brakes just squeal, it is not of iteself a fault, cheaper Avids seem more prone and the rears of some bikes are not stiff 'enough' and seem more prone to it as well.

Bike make/model/year and likewise for brakes would help!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fifenewbie
    Fifenewbie Posts: 44
    Its a 2010 Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes.
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Ride it, brake hard and heat the pads up. Should clear any muck off the rotors/pads. If you haven't changed anything since riding it before then it'll more than likely be dirt that's causing the squeal.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Yeah get some decent heat into them from some big stops, that helps when mine squeal
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • neilly_27
    neilly_27 Posts: 1
    sometimes your brakes may squeal if there is a little dust on your disk rotor.