What speed do downhillers get up to?

alisdairh
alisdairh Posts: 44
edited July 2011 in MTB general
After hearing about some of the TDF riders getting up to speeds of 70 mph it got me wondering what sort of speeds the top downhillers get up to.

Anyone know?

I appreciate that the two aren't that comparable due to the twisty nature of a downhill course but I'm curious all the same

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    164.95 kph is the record.

http://ridegravity.com/2011/06/markus-s ... omponents/

like you say it all depends on the course.

if you want the races on freecaster they have a speed trap on most and the speeds vary a lot but 60-70Kph is common at one of the more recent races.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    The Speed Trap numbers are here... as Nick says the top riders are clocking 60-70 kph in the measured sections on the faster courses - so high 60's kph in Pietermaritzburg, but only in the low 50s kph in Leogang .
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Road is fast, but less likely to find a tree, boulder, 20ft drop in the way.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might find a barbed wire fence though
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    and the odd car/falling rider cutting across your path
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    alisdairh wrote:
    After hearing about some of the TDF riders getting up to speeds of 70 mph it got me wondering what sort of speeds the top downhillers get up to.

Anyone know?

I appreciate that the two aren't that comparable due to the twisty nature of a downhill course but I'm curious all the same

For interest, Sean Kelly's record on a road bike was 81 miles per hour.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    I know that Lance Armstrong Tweeted not so long ago that the fastest he ever got to was 74mph.

Bloody sh*t scary when you consider there is nothing between you and the road at that speed
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Up to 70kph is common in Whistler.
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    I know that Lance Armstrong Tweeted not so long ago that the fastest he ever got to was 74mph.

Bloody sh*t scary when you consider there is nothing between you and the road at that speed
    Ah, but you see, the velocity at which one travels does not vary the existence of any substance, known or unknown, that seperates them from the road.

Good day to you.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    In "The Collective: Seasons" video, one rider clocks 78.14KM/h on his DH practice course, so that's 48MPH, not too shabby.
  • Anonymous
    Pah, that's nothing. In the Crudcatcher Endomondo challenge, one of us has AVERAGED 3,600Mph, over a whole mile. That's Miles per hour :shock:

:lol:
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    I only managed to peak at 22mph @ Glentress :( I suck!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I managed 58 mph on my way home a couple of months ago.. my GPS sucks.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pah, that's nothing. In the Crudcatcher Endomondo challenge, one of us has AVERAGED 3,600Mph, over a whole mile. That's Miles per hour :shock:

I think that might be me. The GPS turned itself off for some reason, then reconnected a mile down the road, so I did that mile instantly! I'm going to remove the workout as I'd like to know what my actual fastest mile was.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    So humble. I say, accept your status as the CC's Speedfreak.
    ALL HAIL BAILS :D
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    clanton wrote:
    For interest, Sean Kelly's record on a road bike was 81 miles per hour.
    There is a steep dip on my regular road loop where I reach 40mph, that is more scarey than an off-road hill (rough, but no roots/trees) where I used to reach 45mph.

I think it's the stupid narrow tyres that mess with your head... :shock:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Anonymous
    My GPS clocked me at 60mph going up Box Hill :lol:
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I keep having the problem that above 40kmh, it turns itself off and doesn't register anything. Had a 147km ride on the road bike the other day show up as having done 80km and average speed of 32, even though everyone elses averages were around 41-42kph. I hated that!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Bike Bloke wrote:

I found putting two more magnets on my front wheel made me crazy fast and tbh I didn't really notice the sensation of speed increase :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    captainfly wrote:
    Bike Bloke wrote:

I found putting two more magnets on my front wheel made me crazy fast and tbh I didn't really notice the sensation of speed increase :roll:

:P
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571

:cry: Best I have done on Endomondo is 185 MPH :x
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    One of the faster guys i ride with managed 30mph or so i think down one of the not-amazingly-fast tracks near bangor... he's quick!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nomako_man
    nomako_man Posts: 66
    fastest i ever got downhill was 59mph ....was on my tt bike in full aero gear on way to an evening '10' however.....was gutted couldn't get that last 1 mph, though i was overtaking traffic! :shock:
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    supersonic wrote:

I'm a mountain biker that also rides road bikes and I can promise you that falling off a road bike at speed is MUCH more painful than doing the equivalent off-road. Stacking it on hardtop at 40+mph is my biggest cycling fear.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Anonymous
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

I'm a mountain biker that also rides road bikes and I can promise you that falling off a road bike at speed is MUCH more painful than doing the equivalent off-road. Stacking it on hardtop at 40+mph is my biggest cycling fear.
    Why does that hurt more than stacking it off road at 40mph?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Why does that hurt more than stacking it off road at 40mph?
    Plus, off road you've got trees, rocks etc to contend with. On road you might get road rash (I should know, I've done it) but nothing more serious. Off road you'll break bones instead plus the usual grazes
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Tarmac hurts a lot more than hardpack does. Admittedly, pointy rocks are probably worse than tarmac.

As for hitting trees...on road you've got lamposts, metal railings, bollards, kerbs and cars to deal with. Falling off on either isn't a good idea.

Also, road bikes have bigger wheels, so you'll be falling from a slightly higher position....:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Honestly I don't know why it does, just that it bloody well does!

Probably the friction of the tarmac and the fact that it has no give whatsoever, only a thin layer of lycra for protection and the fact that you have absolutely no warning when the bike will go so you can't get into a tuck and roll as easily. Off road crashes seem to happen in slow motion (most of the time) so I tend to roll out of them better.

Maybe I'm just lucky off road but my MTB crashes may look spectacular but rarely cause more than a bruise or graze. That said, my only broken bone was MTBing (thumb hit shifter on a drop) but that hurt nowhere near as bad as my last road crash which took off most of the skin on my shin and lower arm as well as some from my face, hand, shoulder and hip. Ouchy-ba-ba-ba.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    Back in the day I clocked 56.8 on a rigid GT Tequesta down a waterboard track part way round the MT Loop.

Yes it may have been a hardpack surface but I was riding a mountain bike, on a mountain bike ride on a marked mountain bike trail.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    Shaggy_Dog, try telling your road bike crash theory to Josh Bryceland, or Dan atherton, or Myles Rockwell :lol:
This discussion has been closed.