yoursamrevel
yoursamrevel Posts: 5
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I've been using a mountain bike for fitness training over the last three months due to a knee injury preventing me from running long distances. I'm currently doing around 15 miles twice a week and have been looking into a hybrid bike to commute to work on and increase the fitness regime.

I'd just like to know what bike brands you would recommend and which online retailers cater best to your needs, I'm planning on visiting a few local bike shops (not Halfords) to get some professional advise but I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm looking at beforehand.

Any info would be great.

Commute would be around 80 miles a week then another 20 miles on training (give or take). My budget would ideally be under £500.00 but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    First advice, DO NOT rule out Halfords, the Carrera range are supreb value, and the Boardmans are the best specced at their price point you'll find, and the voodoo's shouldn't be ruled out either. However WHEN you go to Halfords try not to do it on a Saturday and find a member of staff that knows what they are talking about.

The Carrera Gryphon would be a good place to start looking, either in V or disc trim.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Depends what you want, Most large manufacturers such as Giant and Specialized have good hybrids in that price range, do you want to stick with wider tyres or go for more of a skinny wheeled roadie for more speed? Disk or V-brakes?

I have a Scott Sub 30 which was great for the price last year but I wouldn't recommend it this year they've downgraded some of the parts. I'm looking for a winter commuter at the moment, the Scott is deffo a summer bike, it has slick tyres, SPD's and no mudguards, I'm quite fancying the Kona Dew Plus it looks pretty good value for money.

I do 70 miles/week btw.
  • Thanks Simon,

The Boardmans are a little out of my price range at the moment, I've seen people mention the Carrera Gryphon on the forums a few times as well as the Trek 7. range which both seem reasonable priced.

Unfortunately the Halfords near me don't have the Carrera in stock and I'd like to see before I buy.

Any input on decent online retailers?
  • Depends what you want, Most large manufacturers such as Giant and Specialized have good hybrids in that price range, do you want to stick with wider tyres or go for more of a skinny wheeled roadie for more speed? Disk or V-brakes?

I have a Scott Sub 30 which was great for the price last year but I wouldn't recommend it this year they've downgraded some of the parts. I'm looking for a winter commuter at the moment, the Scott is deffo a summer bike, it has slick tyres, SPD's and no mudguards, I'm quite fancying the Kona Dew Plus it looks pretty good value for money.

I do 70 miles/week btw.

One of my main reasons for getting a hybrid is getting off the wider tyres, I'm sticking mostly to roads with the occasional path or track ride.

At the moment the Carrera Gryphon Hybrid is grabbing my attention as the price point seems ideal. Overall it seems good for its price in my very inexperienced opinion. Anything you can see that causes alarm?

Link is here: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810673_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I personally think that 100 miles per week deserves better than a Gryphon. A guy at my work has a new one and compared to my Boardman his is like a lead weight and he's already considering changing it for better.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I have two MTBs, both with Continental tyres, one fitted with SLX and the other XT cranksets, why change the bike?

Have you considered simply replacing the wheelset
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Joeldim - The Boardmans are a little over my price range at the moment, any recommendations for something in between?

jeremyrundle - I'm currently sharing a bike with my dad since he never uses it and bought a pretty high spec MTB but since we're not living in the same house I want to get something for myself

Would you recommend looking at second hand bikes on ebay etc?
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Personally my advice would be unless you know what you are buying and what to look for no.

Have you thought of joining a cycle club to see what they use
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    At the price point you’re looking at (£300-£400?) the hybrids from the likes of Trek, Dawes, Kona, Specialized etc. are all much of a muchness. Nothing special but decent bikes that should last you for years if you maintain them properly.

I’d try and buy from a shop rather than online so you can get advice on fit etc. I’ve had decent service in Evans but its pot luck whether you get someone who knows their stuff or not in places like that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Gryphon is better than most competitors at that price point, however if you know someone with a Costco card then you make be able to get a Raleigh Airlite Hybrid, the Coventry store sold out about 3 weeks back but that was superb value at £320 with hydro discs.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have a gryphon and do around 100 miles a week on the commute. Its fine although the tyres are rubbish so budget to bin them straight away. Other than that its been fine. Only complaint is that I bought the disc version, and immediately regretted it as panniers are a bugger to fit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.