Etape Act II - what happened?

Just seen a report on Cycling Weekly that the Etape Act II was victim of severe weather causing mass abandonment, mentions that there were rumours of it being cancelled half way through with hundreds of riders stranded. Anyone here who was there who can shed some light on it?

Comments

• londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    A friend of mine did it - he said it was horrific weather - absolutely freezing horizontal rain and blowing a hooly. He struggled to eat as his hands were so cold he kept dropping gels / bars but he battled through to the end. Epic ride.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Was that the mountain one? It must have come as a sickener for all those folks who did the prep miles, climbs and travel only to be punched in the stomach by mother nature :(
  • Bing181
    Bing181 Posts: 9
    I just posted a bit of a resumé in the general "Etape" thread.

Most uncomfortable I've ever been on a bike, by a long way. I'm amazed people got through, from what I was feeling, and what I saw around me, it really was the carnage it's being described as.
  • Bing181 wrote:
    I just posted a bit of a resumé in the general "Etape" thread.

Most uncomfortable I've ever been on a bike, by a long way. I'm amazed people got through, from what I was feeling, and what I saw around me, it really was the carnage it's being described as.

Bing - read your report, amazing that the weather can be so bad in mid-July especially when it had been so nice. A great shame for those who had been preparing for this for months, chapeau to anyone who finished it.
    Sounds similar to Quebrantahuesos in 2010 when 2000+ riders stopped before Marie Blanque due to the cold and the torrential rain. 15 buses had to be used to ferry riders back with many hospitalised with hypothermia.
    There's always next year :)