Rear Mech Shifting Issue

Mojo_666
Mojo_666 Posts: 860
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am unable index my rear shifter properly since maybe 2 weeks ago, before then it was OK

I can set it up fine either from 1-6 or 2-7 but not 1-7 hope that make sense?

It either won't shift from smallest cog on the first click (and will skip to 3rd on the second) or if it is configured to do so then it won't shift down from the largest on the first click but again will skip on the second.

Just wondering what is the mostly likely cause? I assume wear on some part but it all looks OK to the eye but hard to tell on the chain. I don't want to waste money buying the wrong replacement parts.......if in fact I need any.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bent mech hanger?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    hi mike, what make is it?
  • Mojo_666
    nicklouse wrote:
    bent mech hanger?

I will take a closer look at that when I get home nicklouse, I didn't actually look at that TBH.
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

It is a SRAM X9 Tom
  • Welsh_Tom
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    bent mech hanger?

I will take a closer look at that when I get home nicklouse, I didn't actually look at that TBH.
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

It is a SRAM X9 Tom

i am having thr same problem, right now about to take it to a shop as i been playing with it all night and can nnot get it to work
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Welsh_Tom

I will refer you to this
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I had my first off (since getting back on the bike) about 4 weeks ago and cracked some ribs, physically I am on the mend but he confidence shaking is far worse IMO, it wasn't even a good off either, just some fire road but the front wheel washed out from under me. I just went down so hard and so fast, I went back and looked at it a week after and still cannot wrap my head around what happened. I have been out on the trails since but I did feel that If I couldn’t stay upright on a fire road what hope was there for me on a trail so have been extra cautious......I hope that won't last though as I get the feeling it is more dangerous in a lot of ways.

Anyhow hope you mend up soon and get back on the bike as soon as you can.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mojo_666
    nicklouse wrote:
    Welsh_Tom

I will refer you to this
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I had my first off (since getting back on the bike) about 4 weeks ago and cracked some ribs, physically I am on the mend but he confidence shaking is far worse IMO, it wasn't even a good off either, just some fire road but the front wheel washed out from under me. I just went down so hard and so fast, I went back and looked at it a week after and still cannot wrap my head around what happened. I have been out on the trails since but I did feel that If I couldn’t stay upright on a fire road what hope was there for me on a trail so have been extra cautious......I hope that won't last though as I get the feeling it is more dangerous in a lot of ways.

Anyhow hope you mend up soon and get back on the bike as soon as you can.

:wink:

haha, Yeah time wise that would be about right too, and as the hanger is the one thing I didn't think to check I reckon you might be on to a winner Mr Holmes ;)

OK so going on this perfectly reasonable and quite probably dead on assumption.

What are my options?

Bend Back in a vice?
    Replace...If i even can with my bike? if so what with, GT, Generic? Doing a quick search this is not a one size fits all bit of kit right?

The bike is this one
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-expert-2007/

I wont' actually be able to eyeball it until I get home from work.

Many Thanks
  • Welsh_Tom
    Mike just got back from ps cyclics i got a faulty rear derailleur.
  • Mojo_666
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Mike just got back from ps cyclics i got a faulty rear derailleur.

What's next Tom? a call to Canyon UK?

Thanks for the link 1mancity2.
  • Mojo_666
    Spot on nicklouse, new one ordered.

Cheers :D