TDF 2011 - Rest Day 2 - Spoiler

TheStone
TheStone Posts: 2,291
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Well, we've got to the second rest day and as far as the GC is concerned nothing's really happened (well, unless you count Voeckler .... which we have to now).

The bookies are now making it a 7 horse race:
ASch 2/1
Evns 5/2
Cont 4/1
Voek 12/1
FSch 15/1
Bass 33/1
Sanc 50/1

Cav at 1/3 looks fairly nailed on for Green.
exercise.png

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The main event today will probably be the HTC press conference when Captain Bob says what the future of the team is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm looking forward to Cuddly Bob looking at the camera in the conference, the lights in the room dimming, a deep drone shaking the room and CB to say "Brailsford, I'm a billionaire, and I have good lawyers. Leave my riders alone"

It's a funny position because he needs a chunk of his riders or having a sponsor won't help.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    TheStone wrote:
    Well, we've got to the second rest day and as far as the GC is concerned nothing's really happened (well, unless you count Voeckler .... which we have to now).

The bookies are now making it a 7 horse race:
    ASch 2/1
    Evns 5/2
    Cont 4/1
    Voek 12/1
    FSch 15/1
    Bass 33/1
    Sanc 50/1

Cav at 1/3 looks fairly nailed on for Green.

Can you tell me who is offering best odds on Basso - I'm at work so can't check
    ta
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    It seems that there will be no news from HTC today. That doesn't sound promising for them.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm looking forward to Cuddly Bob looking at the camera in the conference, the lights in the room dimming, a deep drone shaking the room and CB to say "Brailsford, I'm a billionaire, and I have good lawyers. Leave my riders alone"

I'd prefer if Bob said "David. I am your father" and they had a fight with light-sabres, (with the resulting fight swinging heavily in Bobs favour until he gets temporarily dazzled by the laser reflecting from DBs shiny head, allowing Brailsford to cut off Bobs left hand. DB gets Cav and Bob spends the rest of his HTC career being unable to hand up bidons from the drivers seat of the Skoda)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    josame wrote:
    Can you tell me who is offering best odds on Basso - I'm at work so can't check
    ta

Oddschecker says the best is 31/1 at Betfair. There's 30/1 at WBX and BetDaq. I can't see 33/1 anywhere. Most of the others have him between 16 and 20.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Cheers Rich
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    edited July 2011
    From Sporza..
    Andy: "Only one Schleck finishes on the podium"

on the second rest day in the Tour car the Schleck brothers are a little prediction. "I see only one of us on the podium, but in the yellow jersey," said Andy. "One may be 20th but if the other wins."

The Schleck brothers in the Pyrenees are not managed to put their competitors at a disadvantage. Still, Andy (pictured) believes that one of them in Paris at the highest steps will be.

"We can not both win the Tour in the same year," said the younger Schleck. "I see even one of us on the podium, but in yellow. I'd rather see one of us wins and the other on the 20th, then we finish second and third."

"Andy and I understand each other well," said his brother Frank. "If one is to one day have to sacrifice for others, then we do it without hesitation."

A map, the two brothers. "We'll see how we feel in the mountains," says Andy. "We talk about an ideal scenario, but sometimes the rider takes a different decision in the race."

3837457038.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    It seems that there will be no news from HTC today. That doesn't sound promising for them.

How do you know? (Genuine question, not @rsey statement)
  • Doobz
    RichN95 wrote:

How do you know? (Genuine question, not @rsey statement)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/staplet ... p-question
    cartoon.jpg
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Very sad non-news day for Cuddly Bob.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    " I'd rather see one of us wins and the other on the 20th, then we finish second and third"

At last!

For everyone's sake, let's hope they start riding with this attitude. At the moment, they seem to be heading for 3rd and 4th.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:
    DB gets Cav and Bob spends the rest of his HTC career being unable to hand up bidons from the drivers seat of the Skoda)

And Zabel proves everyone wrong about Germans not having a sense of humour by ringing up Cav and asking him if he's seen any good Powerpoint decks lately....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Getty
    a59aa5d323e21df2e20d248bbd184059-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Meanwhile, at the Saxo-Bank hotel.........

tumblr_ll270jWaeV1qf4nigo1_500.jpg
  • Doobz
    Bronzie wrote:
    Meanwhile, at the Saxo-Bank hotel.........

Movistar having carpark paella

skaao.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I wonder what the Campag BB Cup wrench was used for in the preparation of that?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Getty
    a59aa5d323e21df2e20d248bbd184059-getty-_.jpg

I think he's confused the yellow jersey with the tree climbers jersey. Bless.
    Mens agitat molem
  • Doobz
    I did not know that Yohann Gène is the First Black Cyclist Ever in the Tour de France

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 53,00.html

wc_yohann_0709.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited July 2011
    Since it has spoiler in the subject I feel safe in posting the result of today's stag here.
    Jens Voigt has won today's rest stage.
    http://twitter.com/#!/JensVoigtFacts/st ... 5486331904

:D
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I hope the alps will be more exciting than the pyranees, I expect will be be though, if AC wants to win the yellow jersey he's going to have to attack, and even if he hasn't got it, it should at least make it more interesting.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Doobz wrote:
    I did not know that Yohann Gène is the First Black Cyclist Ever in the Tour de France

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 53,00.html

wc_yohann_0709.jpg

Abdel Kader Zaaf?

coureur.jpg

Famous for collapsing under a tree in the 1950 TdF, waking up a bit later and cycling the wrong way down the road.
  • Doobz
    afx237vi wrote:

Abdel Kader Zaaf?

coureur.jpg

Famous for collapsing under a tree in the 1950 TdF, waking up a bit later and cycling the wrong way down the road.

quality story that..
    cartoon.jpg
  • Tusher
    Doobz wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Abdel Kader Zaaf?

coureur.jpg

quality story that..

+1

I think there was another North African rider in the Tour (who wasn't Virenque) around the same time.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I can't remember which one of them wore a fez... There was a story of Goddet asking him if it was too hot for him on a baking day down down south and being told

"Actually i'm rather too cold!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Marcel Molines was the other Algerian who won the stage on the day Zaaf fell asleep. Full story here;

http://tour.cyclingfever.com/column.htm ... item_id=71

Zaaf's life was pretty tough after his cycling career, which is quite sad:

http://www.bobkestrut.com/2007/01/03/ha ... utes-drag/
  • Tusher
    Absolutely fantastic for Yohann and West Indian cycling (and a bit of a mystery why Guadalope hasn't produced a Tour rider before as they have such a rich cycling tradition) but when I look at him, he doesn't look any darker skinned than some European riders who would be called white. Like Contador.

Actually, all pro-riders are striped. Dark brown arms and legs, light brown or red faces, white shoulders. Without clothing, they're a bizarre sight.

Who was it who sang that the world was just a great big onion in the 60s? We freckle faced red heads are due to become extinct soon. The 22nd century will probably have a breeding programme for us, and we'll be celebrated as exotic.
  • Doobz
    afx237vi wrote:
    Marcel Molines was the other Algerian who won the stage on the day Zaaf fell asleep. Full story here;

http://tour.cyclingfever.com/column.htm ... item_id=71

Zaaf's life was pretty tough after his cycling career, which is quite sad:

http://www.bobkestrut.com/2007/01/03/ha ... utes-drag/

Shame man, poor guy. Thanks for sharing afx..
    cartoon.jpg
  • Tusher
    Thanks monkey man- you posted that whilst I was still typing.