Pedal advise please

mjf1017
mjf1017 Posts: 48
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
After a year of commuting on my boardman hybrid, along with recreational cycling, I've decided to opt for a pair of MTB cycle shoes.

My question is, should I opt for the Shimano multipurpose pedal (clip on one side, normal pedal on the other) or go the whole hog an just get a double-sided pedal?

Your thoughts/input is welcome...

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I initially went for the multipurpose on my commuter thinking in traffic etc I'd use the flats. Never happened, I always clip in and in fact found only having the clip on one side more of a pain. Going for a quick getaway only to find the ped was the wrong way up and not clipping in when expected etc.

In the end I changed for a set of double sided for the commuter.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ince wrote:
    I initially went for the multipurpose on my commuter thinking in traffic etc I'd use the flats. Never happened, I always clip in and in fact found only having the clip on one side more of a pain. Going for a quick getaway only to find the ped was the wrong way up and not clipping in when expected etc.

In the end I changed for a set of double sided for the commuter.

+1
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    Shimano M424 are double sided flats and clips it's what I have on my bike and they work well.
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Just bought M540 exactly for that reason
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Jason82 wrote:
    Shimano M424 are double sided flats and clips it's what I have on my bike and they work well.

+1, good pedals.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't bother, you'll alwasy clip straight in, just go for double sided SPD's, If your worried about converting you could get one of those clip in platforms you can remove later.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't bother, you'll alwasy clip straight in, just go for double sided SPD's, If your worried about converting you could get one of those clip in platforms you can remove later.

Simon

which often come with the pedals anyway.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'Can' not sure about 'often', but yes if going that route its cheaper (usually) to get them with the pedals.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mjf1017
    mjf1017 Posts: 48
    Thanks everyone, you've confirmed what I was thinking...

Mike
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    As a recent convet to SPDs (last week) it feels a bit strange at first but clipping in/out is second nature already, no need for half measures.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • ballypete
    ballypete Posts: 2
    +1. Have even stopped repeating mantra in my head of 'dont forget to unclip...dont forget to unclip'
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    As a recent convet to SPDs (last week) it feels a bit strange at first but clipping in/out is second nature already, no need for half measures.

I am planning to get the M520 this weekend. I am worried about the learning curve, particularly when the bike is my main mains of transport. Are you saying it just took a week for you to adjust to it?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • iandennis
    iandennis Posts: 238
    more like a day - once you remember to unclip it becomes second nature.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've done 4 trips now and it already feels natural. Mind you nearly toppled over at some lights as forgot my foot was clipped in and leant over slightly. Oops.