How to wrap tape around flat top/wing carbon bars..?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,950
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

just treated myself to one of these (Only just ordered so not due for a few weeks)
$(KGrHqR,!g4E3u-(GPBPBOHvlRzTLw~~0_12.JPG

Will need to tape it up of course, but can anyone suggest the best way to tape it, ie do you leave the tops bare of tape, and just tape a smidge past the brake levers, or do you tape the whole lot as per a normal set of bars?

If it makes any difference, I tend to like narrowish bars, so these are 40cm centre to centre, and also these will not be used for any commuting duties.

Would really appreciate other peoples findings on the best way to tape these style bars up,

Many thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I have the Cinelli Ram (Mk1) all-in-one bar/stem and only tape up to just above the brake hoods - I like to see the carbon weave and the bars are flat enough to be comfortable regardless :)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,950
    Thanks Chris,

that what I was after, just wasn't sure if due to the shape you should not require any padding beyond that in your mitts, but also aware that once I cut the tape then i can;t undo the cut, and would have to buy a whole new length to rewrap it if need be.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18