Rear Derailleur not working.

Welsh_Tom
Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Bike all working fine at ride. Put the bike in the car, (wheels off) got home, put wheels back on, and the rear Derailleur would not work.

If you start it on cog #1 (#10 speed) as soon as you turn the chank it jumps to cog #2, you can then change gears up as far as cog #9, you can push the Derailleur to help it into cog #10, but it will not go back down the gears.

If you leave it at cog #9 you can change back down to cog #3

I have no idea what I have done. Any help welcome

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not knocked and bent the mech/hanger have you? Check is straight.
  • Is it SRAM?

Thats EXACTLY the problem I had when the cables started to stretch.

Its an absoloute pain in the fricking arse to get it spot on. sorry I can't be much more help, No idea how mine works. Not touching it thats for sure!
  • Welsh_Tom
    supersonic wrote:
    Not knocked and bent the mech/hanger have you? Check is straight.

I hit a few rocks but its as staight as a dye.
    Is it SRAM?

Thats EXACTLY the problem I had when the cables started to stretch.

Its an absoloute pain in the fricking ars* to get it spot on. sorry I can't be much more help, No idea how mine works. Not touching it thats for sure!

Yes Sram, :lol: I remember you saying.

I have tryed pulling some cable through, and letting some out, its does not fix it
  • supersonic
    You need to reindex it. Park Tools has a good guide.

Make sure the cables are clean and smooth.
  • Lakesman
    Lakesman Posts: 46
    check the cables all the way down the bike carefully. something similar niggled me the other day; in the car the slack cable had risen out of the guide and then got caught on the outer - sticking proud of the boss when i stuck the wheel in, difficult to describe in words, but check the cables from lever to mech: if there was no impact this shouldn't happen suddenly so there will be a clear reason
  • Welsh_Tom
    supersonic wrote:
    You need to reindex it. Park Tools has a good guide.

Make sure the cables are clean and smooth.

It was till I fra'd (I can not spell it and can not find the right spelling :oops: ) it a little on the end :oops:

Will try to reindex, Thanks
    Lakesman wrote:
    check the cables all the way down the bike carefully. something similar niggled me the other day; in the car the slack cable had risen out of the guide and then got caught on the outer - sticking proud of the boss when i stuck the wheel in, difficult to describe in words, but check the cables from lever to mech: if there was no impact this shouldn't happen suddenly so there will be a clear reason

The cable is mosty inside the tube :? But I can not find anywhere, where it looks out of place
  • Welsh_Tom
    tryed indexing them, they go up the gears but not back down
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    cable tension too tight or a sticking cable..... also have you got the B-tensioner set correctly (almost touching the largest sprocket when shifted up to that gear).
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    It does sound like a sticking cable a clean and lube (on park tools somewhere) shoud improve things . what mech and shifter combo are you using?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Welsh_Tom
    Just so you guys know, just come from ps cyclics, the rear derailleur is faulty at manufacture.
  • supersonic
    Did they say what was up with it? Spring?
  • Welsh_Tom
    The mechanic said, When the derailleur was made, they over crimped the pins which hold the cases together, Which is stoping the derailleur from returning by its self.

Or thats what he thinks is the problem
  • supersonic
    Hmmm, not so sure about that, but would need to see it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    The mechanic said, When the derailleur was made, they over crimped the pins which hold the cases together, Which is stoping the derailleur from returning by its self.
    Priceless!
  • Welsh_Tom
    .blitz wrote:
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Priceless!

??
  • supersonic
    High probability he is talking bollocks, tbh.
  • Welsh_Tom
    supersonic wrote:
    High probability he is talking bollocks, tbh.

Its a very well respected shop local.
  • supersonic
    Strange how it worked to start then lol.
  • Welsh_Tom
    edited July 2011
    supersonic wrote:
    Strange how it worked to start then lol.

It was working you are right but it was not working very well. as the ride went on it was sicking on the upshift, but it was working as you say

Edit: I put the sicking down to mud at the time, thats why I never mationed it
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

Or thats what he thinks is the problem

You have a 2010 sram x9 I guess ?

Yes, I agree with this 100% ! The rivets that hold the parallelograms to the composite err knuckle (?) are what I came to the conclusion as being too tight and they stick. If you pull the mech open about half travel while off the bike, it won't retract fully, which means it won't drop into the smaller sprockets ! I know this as I have a buggered up X9 mech in the shed right now and have stuck an x5 on temporarily !
  • supersonic
    It woll not drop to the limit stop?
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Nope, it will if you open it up fully and let it snap shut, however that's not representative of the actual shift action and even by letting snap from mid-travel it won't hit the limit stop. When it does hit the limit stop it's not a harsh "smack" as per the correctly functioning x5, due to the resistance.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Its a 2011 bike so i am guessing its sram x9 2011
  • Ryan Jones wrote:
    Nope, it will if you open it up fully and let it snap shut, however that's not representative of the actual shift action and even by letting snap from mid-travel it won't hit the limit stop. When it does hit the limit stop it's not a harsh "smack" as per the correctly functioning x5, due to the resistance.

EXACTLY what my 2011 X9 10sp is like. I have to overshift the lever to make it work.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Its a shame most new bikes come geared with sram :(
  • supersonic
    Try working the cage by hand and adding lube. Poor cables will accentuate any probs.