Dirt cheap cruiser

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I can pick up a Raleigh Bomber locally for £100, the Vitamin at decathlon was just £70.

They seem to have saved money on that by not having any brakes....may have a back pedal on the rear of course (very popular still in France for example for some stupid reason....)

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    You've gotta love the description... :lol:
    pedals add comfort where you want it most.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    thel33ter wrote:
    You've gotta love the description... :lol:
    pedals add comfort where you want it most.

That's unfair use of selected quoting, though I do wonder what dual-density pedals are like....

Cheers,
    W.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They seem to have saved money on that by not having any brakes....may have a back pedal on the rear of course (very popular still in France for example for some stupid reason....)

It will have a coaster brake. Perfectly OK for the purpose really.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I remember Asda did a thing where they were selling "Britain's cheapest bike" in order to "get Britain cycling".

Of course they decided that the optimum bike to sell for this purpose was a rigid MTB with knobbly tyres that weighed more than a Trek Session.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rolf F wrote:

Except in the UK where you need a front as well?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Danny1962
    Danny1962 Posts: 58
    ric11 wrote:
    I don't care if this bike is made from string cheese, these days you can't ship a bike for 79 bucks...lol. How is this possible??

We all know the answer really, Gerald Ratner once even said it about his own products. It's because it's cr*p !

I remember reading somewhere that these Bike-Shaped-Objects will do about 100 miles in their lifetime, from the shop to the landfill / scrapyard. Your LBS usually won't even service or repair them, their construction is so poor that it's often impossible to adjust the parts correctly.

I'd never recommend buying a new bike for this kind of money -- many perfectly good secondhand ones with loads of life left in them sell for not much more.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Rolf F wrote:

Except in the UK where you need a front as well?

Simon
    There is the “not ready to be ridden on the road” exclusion. For example, it’s entirely legal for a track bike to be sold in the UK with no brakes at all.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    ric11 wrote:
    I don't care if this bike is made from string cheese, these days you can't ship a bike for 79 bucks...lol. How is this possible??
    http://slickbikes.com/product/huffy-cra ... -bike-7997
    One reason why American goods are cheaper is that the retailer usually has no responsibility for honouring the guarantee – it is up to the buyer to arrange this directly with the manufacturer, so the brand is very important.

Another reason is that the sticker price does not include local sales taxes, which are usually added when you get to the checkout, although a lot of e-tailers get around this by claiming to be out-of-state.