upgrade or replace...

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
OK I need a new saddle (splitting) and wheels (rims worn down) for my 2007 Pinnacle that was £500 new then and weighs 15kg (with blackburn rack and SKS mudguards - thats about 1kg - so 14kg for the basic bike). As its done some 11,000 miles since new the Vero FSA chainset is starting to show signs of wear (Tiagra 9-speed chain/cassette/rear mech replaced 18mo ago after the hanger broke). Looking in Evans and elsewhere I'm guessing £250 for a decent set of wheels, saddle, chainset...

SO... rather than replace/upgrade, I'm convincing myself I need a new commuting bike at that price point or maybe a couple of hundred more... so £500 - £700

While i like the upright position of the hybrid in traffic I would prefer something faster/more aero with drop bars but with a more relaxed geometry than my road bike so thinking CX style...

Looked at (but not test ridden yet)
- Boardman CXTeam (little outside budget)
- Kona Jake / Jake Snake
- Fuji 3.0 2011
- Spesh Tricross Road

I guess all these come in around the 10-11kg mark weight wise and are better spec'd. I'm happy with either a triple 9speed or a compact 10speed.

The big question - would i feel the need to upgrade them any time soon? what are the downsides of each (and I dont mean buying from Halfrauds lol)

Any other bike I should consider?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    This one's simple:

Do you want a different bike?

(no amount of navel-gazing on our part will answer this) If the answer's yes, then get one. If not, then upgrade your current one.

You do want a new bike, yes, yes you do. I suggest looking at a tourer.

If you need more convincing, then I think you're probably being optimistic with your budget of 250 GBP for wheels, saddle, and chainset. I'd look at that budget for wheels alone, considering you're commuting properly
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • optimisticbiker
    @davis... I don't really need convincing aboput a new bike... but I'll spend the next 6mo faffing about the choice...

you may be right about the cost of wheels.. i based that on a mid-range spec that are lighter than what I have today (Alex16 rims)... the question is.. will a new bike have better spec'd wheels...

What i need should be lighter/more aero and at least as well spec'd as what I have now...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Riiiiiight.....

So you want a better bike.

Please, don't let us dissuade you :-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I have the Kona Jake. Love it. It's very comfy, great fun to ride and more than holds its own on the commute. But...

I don't like canti brakes. I really don't like the lack of braking power of the Avid Shortys, particularly in the wet, so look at some Tektros instead (there was a thread on those brakes in Commuting General). Disc brakes would be better.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    @davis... I don't really need convincing aboput a new bike... but I'll spend the next 6mo faffing about the choice..
    It's not just me that does that then.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Hmm, £250 for a nice set of wheels.
    105 hubs, DT Comp and Open Pro's with £50 left for beer.
    Well, that's got me thinking about revamping my commuter, thanks :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like you've earned a new bike to me.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Audax bike:

Condor Fratello.

Buy.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Cycle2Work?
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    You need to upgrade and buy a new bike.
  • optimisticbiker
    @cjcp - yes, not so sure about the cantis either, but none of those AFAIK have V-brakes or disks... not sure going to get disks at this price point

@suzyb - ummmm, yes... took me 25min to buy a house, and less than 2hr to buy a car... but bikes need special consideration :)

@Agulia - nice, but I think £600 for just the frameset is a tad outside budget! Maybe could find a s/hand one but I really would prefer a new bike :)

@joelsim - already done C2W for my road bike this year :roll: , so this is going to be direct out of pocket (well on the bottomless credit card pit)

@confusedboy - errr.. yes but 2 new bikes and an upgrade in under 6mo is likely to stretch the incredulity and/or patience of Mrs OB... we are already close to the S-1* parameter :)

:D 8 posts so far and only one directly related to my original dilemma lol...

*see "n+1" for details
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :D

Have a look on Merlin and CRC for discounted chainsets. I have an Ultegra chainset with a worn 53 if you want it - you would need to replace the 53 though. Have a look on eBay for a saddle.

Check out Parker International for the cost of wheelbuilds. I have a wheelbuilder mate if you're interested.

I know this isn't as much fun as buying a new bike, but you did ask :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • optimisticbiker
    Convinced myself that there's little point in upgrading the current bike cos I'll still end up with a heavy frame however good the new wheels might be...

so back to looking for something suitable. decided I dont want a pannier rack this time, will get a seatpost rack a la topeak RX or similar with a laptop carrier for when I need to take the laptop home...

still not entirely convinced by my own CX argument and the canti brakes issue worries me a little as good brakes are essential for commuting and I've had canti's before and they didnt fill me with confidence, prefer a V-brake or caliper...
  • iandennis
    iandennis Posts: 238
    Looking at the spec then the Boardman CX Team comes with Discs ??

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html

Whyte has just announced three new cross bikes, I'm waiting to see what they look like then either boardman cx or Saxon cross
  • optimisticbiker
    iandennis wrote:
    Looking at the spec then the Boardman CX Team comes with Discs ??

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html

Whyte has just announced three new cross bikes, I'm waiting to see what they look like then either boardman cx or Saxon cross
    Yes, but its £200 outside the budget too... nevertheless i do like the look of the Boardmans...
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Yes, but its £200 outside the budget too... nevertheless i do like the look of the Boardmans...

Got mine for £810...that's a bit closer.