Idiot on a Presta valve

Thebigbee
Thebigbee Posts: 570
edited July 2011 in The workshop
Hi - I have replaced a rear Presta valve recently. Went to give it some more air and realised that for whatever reason I could not undo the lock nut - on the end of the valve - whatever I tried.

I eventually took some pliers to it - that didn't help and I got pi55ed off and cut the tip off thinking that would help and I could push the valve through.

Obviously I can't as i can't release any air! - What a moron I am.

Any suggestions for getting the now buggered valve out of the tyre?

All advice greatly reiceved - cheers!!

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Well, you've probably destroyed a valve, and with it, a tube.

You could try:

Cutting the valve off completely. I've never tried, but I'd have thought a beefy pair of pliers could cut through it, then re-round it again.

Taking the thinnest needle/pin to the tyre, so that the tube deflates.

Calming down, and having a cup of tea :-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    +1 Davis
    Hmm "a cup of tea"
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    I have spare tubes so that's no problem. It is just getting the air out of this one so I can replace it without buggering the tyre?
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    A hacksaw through the base of the valve should do it. Or a nail
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Surely you can push the valve core down and let out the air? A carpet tack or similar pointy thing should push the inner bit down.
    Cheers,
    W.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Since the inner tube is now toast, you just need to deflate it, remove the tyre, cut off the valve from the inside and fit a new tube, this time with a smear of vaseline or grease on the threaded nut.
    To deflate a tyre, use the traditional method, poke something pointy through the tyre.