Vino corked

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited July 2011 in Pro race
No more from the Kazak fighter

Tarnished career maybe - but always good viewing
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited July 2011
    great thread.

although he is one of my favourite riders being a post doping era convert
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I for one will miss him
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The guy is a legend and the fans of this sport need riders like him. He is one of my all time favourite riders and as a subject for photos he is incredible.

If anyone finds some good write-ups of his career anywhere please link to them.

2005TourdeFranceStageTwentyOnelfA_S.jpg
    x610-5.jpg
    2005TourdeFranceStageTwentyTimeT-1.jpg
    x610-3.jpg
    tour10_078sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_5.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    The guy is a legend and the fans of this sport need riders like him. He is one of my all time favourite riders and as a subject for photos he is incredible.

The last thing the sport needs at the moment is unrepentant dopers.

As long as riders like Vino are venerated then the sport will continue to struggle to find sponsors.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Riders with his mentality and approach to racing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/07 ... ombah.html
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Difficult to have his approach to race if not goofed up to the eyeballs though. Would love to think he's been clean since his return, but somehow doubt it.

However I am very conflicted on the man. He has been responsible for some of the best racing I've ever watched, even if a nagging voice in my head knew it wasn't quite straight. The win on the Champs Elysee was something else and down to balls and judgement as much as the gear in his system.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041

+1

My all time favourite for many years. Believe me, it hasn't been easy being a Vino 'fanboy' :wink:

Some fascinating family album shots from an interview with his parents here.
  • secretsqirrel
    andyp wrote:

The last thing the sport needs at the moment is unrepentant dopers.

As long as riders like Vino are venerated then the sport will continue to struggle to find sponsors.

But isn't Vino unusual in that he has enabled opportunities for young Kazakh riders on the difficult to crack European scene? He has brought sponsors to the sport :?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    But isn't Vino unusual in that he has enabled opportunities for young Kazakh riders on the difficult to crack European scene? He has brought sponsors to the sport :?

Is that a serious question? :shock:

How many of the sponsors of Astana can you actually name?
  • secretsqirrel
    edited July 2011
    andyp wrote:

Samruk Kazyna :lol:

Edit: Any way the question was about opportunies not sponsors.
  • josame
    andyp wrote:

C'mon that's a redundant question; you and I are not their market so it matters not one fig whether 'we' can name them :shock: :shock:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    andyp wrote:

Samruk Kazyna :lol:

Edit: Any way the question was about opportunies not sponsors.

Don't forget Astana Air as well.

Great rider despite his past. Watching him attack was already great and you new any race with Vino in was always going to be exciting
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Wont be missed, the cheating lying individual.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Juice or not, he's one of the smartest racers there is.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    A cheat is a cheat, wont miss basso either when he retires.
  • josame

that's a long list you keep in your 'back pocket' relating to 1903 - 200?

all those big names of shame

and then there's Dave Z....
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Seriously though, if a rider needed drugs to compete, and they come back as good as ever...

I think the point is how many aren't taking stuff?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Its about admitting your mistakes and not trying to maintain your innocence when caught.

Man up and take responsibility I say.
  • josame
    Its about admitting your mistakes and not trying to maintain your innocence when caught.

But we have established that a 'cheat is a cheat' so it doesn't really matter what you do after....
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Joelsim wrote:
    Seriously though, if a rider needed drugs to compete, and they come back as good as ever...

My thoughts exactly, although I agree with this too;
    Juice or not, he's one of the smartest racers there is.

I loved watching him back when I/we were a lot more naive.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    josame wrote:

But we have established that a 'cheat is a cheat' so it doesn't really matter what you do after....

good spot :lol: ... I do have more empathy if they do admit it.
  • Its about admitting your mistakes and not trying to maintain your innocence when caught.

He stayed quiet, served his ban, came back. If you think the rest of the peloton is clean then you are delusional.

Fantastic rider, loved watching him attack, whether it was suicidal, successful or chased down by his own team mates. He made the giro for me last year, from the first few days shelling the big names out in the cross winds to constantly attacking on the strade biancha. Don't think a GT will excite so much for a long time.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jimmythecuckoo
    He stayed quiet, served his ban, came back. If you think the rest of the peloton is clean then you are delusional.

No he didnt, he claimed he was innocent for quite a while.

I am not delusional, I just prefer the rider who doesn't dope and if those who feel obliged to and get caught come clean, they are better than those in denial.

Ricco, as an extreme example.
  • secretsqirrel

No he didnt, he claimed he was innocent for quite a while.

I am not delusional, I just prefer the rider who doesn't dope and if those who feel obliged to and get caught come clean, they are better than those in denial.

Ricco, as an extreme example.

Problem with prefering riders who don't dope, and I think that we all prefer they didn't, is that it is difficult to distinguish them from those who haven't been caught. I don't now the answer to that one.

Anyway to quote Vino's post LBL open letter "I paid two years on suspension for the dark years of my career. If I repeated that I didn't want to talk about it, it's only for the sake of my sport. I don't think cycling needs to reconsider all these dirty stories to move forward".

He is not in denial he just doesn't want to talk about it.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344

Or schleck then presumably, or David Millar or or or or or the list goes on
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    I think the sport has lost a hugely influencere and exciting rider, his toughness and never say die attitude will be missed in this house thats for sure.

So he got caught using, that was his mistake and he paid for it. Did his time and put it behind him. This is much more palatable than riding at the rear and hitting himself with old inner tubes and chains. Good luck to him and thank you for those great mentalist attempts in the mountains against Armstrong
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I'm not stupid but....I just got the pun in the Topic name :oops: :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • secretsqirrel
    BarryBonds wrote:
    I think the sport has lost a hugely influencere and exciting rider, his toughness and never say die attitude will be missed in this house thats for sure.

So he got caught using, that was his mistake and he paid for it. Did his time and put it behind him. This is much more palatable than riding at the rear and hitting himself with old inner tubes and chains. Good luck to him and thank you for those great mentalist attempts in the mountains against Armstrong

Has the sport lost him tho'. Astana has gone into 'do it for Vino mode', wait till he becomes a DS. It is going to be interesting.

And yes, I agree his robustness toward the set backs has spared us pathos of the fallen hero scenario.