British domestic pro scene late 80s / early 90s

gattocattivo
gattocattivo Posts: 500
edited February 2012 in Pro race
First of all, an explanation: I got into cycling as a teenager in 1988 and then drifted out of it when I went to university in 1991 (before eventually getting back into it again a few years ago). Because of this the period 1992-2007 is something of a void for me: apart from the Tour de France I scarcely saw or read about cycling during that time.

I was just thinking back to the domestic scene at the end of the 80s and from what I can remember the amateurs and professionals did different races. One of the first Cycling Weeklys that I bought had a report of a race in the Peak District (I think going up Snake Pass and then up Winnats Pass) which was won by Paul Curran. I think Curran turned pro after that and couldn’t do those races any more.

I think there were about four pro British teams, but I’m struggling to remember their names. Raleigh Banana were one of them, I think with a guy called Lillywhite, and maybe Ever Ready were another. I definitely remember Mark Walsham being maybe the best, but I can’t remember his team. There might have been a team called PMS-Dawes or PMS-Falcon. I’ve got a feeling the whole thing collapsed in the early 90s, but I can’t really remember.

What I wanted to know was:
1) What races did the domestic pros do at this time?
2) What races did the top amateurs do?
3) Did they ever compete in the same races? (e.g. Milk Race)
4) Am I right that the whole domestic pro thing collapsed?
5) When did the current BC Premier Calendar start up? Has it always been open to pros and amateurs? (In fact, is any distinction made nowadays?)

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    The main teams back then were Raleigh Banana (later Banana Falcon) who had the likes of Chris Lillywhite, Chris Walker, Shane Sutton and the late Dave Rayner . Ever Ready (Tony Doyle, Ben Luckwell) and Percy Bilton (Walsham, John Tanner). I think the pros raced against amateurs in Star Trophy races but not certain. That was the predecessor to the current Premier Calendar. The Milk Race was a pro am as was its Irish equivalent. I think the premier started in about 97 and the pro scene at that time was basically individual riders with sponsorship. This would have coincided with the new open system where the distinction between pro and am disappeared. The only team with any strength in the late 90s and early 2000s were built around Tanner and Walsham who dominated the series as the likes of Winn and Malarcyzck got worked over as individual riders. On the amateur front in the late 80s and early 90s Manchester Wheelers were dominant and more like a pro outfit.

Dave1 on here probably knows more as he would have raced regularly with a lot of the top riders back then.
  • Yeah - the British pro scene all but collapsed in the early/mid 90's. Partly due to the early 90's recession and partly due to the Kellogs City Centre series becoming defunct (perhaps the recession fueled it's demise) - Alan Rushton (who ran the city centre series will be able to tell you).

My abiding memory of the city centre series is in 1984 on way to the one in Nottm. I was late and jumped a red light at Bramcote driving my dad's car - and got my only traffic violation !

The race you're referring to (over Snake/Winnats ) is probably the Tour of the Peak - previously part of the current Premier Calender series of races up until about 2007 I think. MArk Lovat won it several years in sucession.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    The Premier Calendar started as early as 1993, I (and I think Dave_1 did too) rode the Tour of the Kingdom that year and it was a Premier Calendar event.

Thankfully it coincided with the last ever Milk Race, so many of the top domestic riders were riding that which meant I wasn't completely embarrassed.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    One of my first cycling memories is seeing Joey Mcloughlin win a race in
    Liverpool that was televised, but I can't remember if it was part of the Milk Race or something else
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    colint wrote:
    One of my first cycling memories is seeing Joey Mcloughlin win a race in
    Liverpool that was televised, but I can't remember if it was part of the Milk Race or something else

Yeah, I went to watch that, was on a Thursday night in 1990 - still got a cycling cap somewhere. Was the City centre series, not sure who it was sponsored by though - FriendsProvident????
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It was Kelloggs City Centre Cycling for at least one series ? That was the early 80s I think ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    cougie wrote:
    It was Kelloggs City Centre Cycling for at least one series ? That was the early 80s I think ?

There was the Scottish Provident League - a city centre series which was definitely happening in 1992.

I know this because I wrote a report about the Bristol leg for the Bristol Uni newspaper (I was the Sports Editor). I still have a copy of that report. It says someone called Gary Coltman won. Chris Lillywhite was second.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I think the split between amateurs and pros finished at the National Champs in about 1995, whith simply an Elite cat.

Other teams of the mid-nineties were Duracell (David Millar rode for them) and Ambrosio (Rob Hayles rode for them).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Perhaps not quite what you're seeking, but it was about then (between the advent of Marie Purvis and the emergence of Nicole Cooke), that Caroline Alexander had a few moments of göory, albeit mainly in the MTB field, but also on the road.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Pross wrote:
    The main teams back then were Raleigh Banana (later Banana Falcon) who had the likes of Chris Lillywhite, Chris Walker, Shane Sutton and the late Dave Rayner . Ever Ready (Tony Doyle, Ben Luckwell) and Percy Bilton (Walsham, John Tanner). I think the pros raced against amateurs in Star Trophy races but not certain. That was the predecessor to the current Premier Calendar..

Ah, Percy Bilton - that was it. I think that was the team Curran signed for. I'm not certain, but I don't think the Pros did race in the Star Trophy. In fact, I've got a feeling that if you'd been pro and then became amateur again you had to sit out a year without racing (but maybe that was RTTC rules, not BCF).
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    British registered teams of the 90s...

Air Marshall
    Banana - Falcon
    Bowflex -
    Crown's Printers - Chafes - Giant
    Ever Ready - Halfords
    KJC Carpets - Thornhill
    Offtex - Ricci
    Percy Bilton - AMP
    Peugeot UK
    Raleigh - Itm

AMS - Nigel Dean - Pacific
    Banana - Falcon
    British Eagle Cycles
    Dave Bruce
    Dawes Cycles
    Geoffrey Butler
    KJC Carpets - Revelation
    Mike Quinn Cycles
    Raleigh - Saab
    Townsend Cycles

Banana - Met Helmets
    British Eagle Cycles
    Condor - Diavolo
    Geoffrey Butler - Look - Mavic
    Peugeot UK - Look
    Raleigh - Saab
    Saracen Cycles

Aire Valley Cycles Sports & Leisure
    Banana Energy
    Cyman Maxim
    F.S. Maestro - British Eagle Cycles
    Geoffrey Butler
    KHS - Lotus
    Kodak - Reebok - Continental
    Neilson - Tivoli - Assos
    Offtex - Dauphin Sport
    Peugeot UK - Look
    Raleigh
    Saracen Cycles
    Team Orange - Pertex
    Tramontana - KHS

Aire Valley Cycles
    Choice Accoutancy
    Creatabolin Futurama C10
    Diamond Back Racing
    F.S. Maestro - Wielersport
    Foremost - Contract Furnisher
    Geoffrey Butler
    Kodak - Print Processing
    Lex Retail Group - Townsend Cycles
    Offtex - Dauphin Sport
    Peugeot UK
    Raleigh
    Saracen Cycles
    Schwinn
    Taster of Ebenbridge - Ewhurst Controls
    Team Orange - Pertex

Aire Valley Cycles Sports & Leisure
    All Media Services Futurama
    Ambrosia Desserts - Continental
    F.S. Maestro - Frigas
    Geoffrey Butler Cycles - Lusso
    GT - Shimano
    Karrimor - Mongoose
    KHS - Profresh - Parker - Shimano - Yamaka - Power Tool
    Offtex - Dauphin Sport
    Peugeot UK - Look - Bell
    Radford Accountants - Sirius - Imp Sport
    Raleigh - Continental
    Roberts Cycles
    Rocky Mountain Race Face
    Schwinn - Chrysler
    Team Orange - Pertex - Fir
    Ulusoy - Tritech - Gill Airways

Ambrosia Desserts - Continental
    Cannons Sports - Bioracer
    Gill Airways - Peugeot
    IME Management
    Karrimor - Mongoose
    Raleigh
    Sit & Sit - Heco - FS Maestro
    Team Orange - Pertex

Adidas
    Cannondale
    Cannons Sports
    Gill Airways - Peugeot
    Team Ambrosia Desserts - Continental
    Torelli Imports

Adidas
    Brite Voice
    Cannons Sports
    Clarke Bros Contractors
    Diamond Back
    Harrod's - Giant
    Linda McCartney Racing Team
    Torelli Imports

Amore & Vita - Giubileo Beretta
    Harrod's-Principia-Finish Power
    Linda McCartney Racing Team
    Team Men's Health
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    eh wrote:
    Other teams of the mid-nineties were Duracell (David Millar rode for them)

Team Energy - the main sponsors were Duracell & Lucozade. Simon Bray was team leader and as far as I recall it was Millar's first 'proper' trade team. I still have one of their jerseys...and it still fits....
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    Just watched an interesting Boon episode (Season 4 9."Love Letters from a Dead Man" (27 November 1989)).
    Half the episode is based on dodgy dealings such as doping, race fixing etc and centres around the raleigh-banana team. The episode also features clips from a kellogs criterium which was won by dave rayner although the episode made it look like the actor had won. Worth watching if you get the time.
  • cougie wrote:
    Wow! that's like a dream group for me !!!
  • Some Kelloggs Tour of Britain from '89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agRLRYZER6o

The Law is five mins from my front door.
  • Pseudonym wrote:
    eh wrote:
    Other teams of the mid-nineties were Duracell (David Millar rode for them)

Team Energy - the main sponsors were Duracell & Lucozade. Simon Bray was team leader and as far as I recall it was Millar's first 'proper' trade team. I still have one of their jerseys...and it still fits....

Team Energy was an 'amateur' team rather than a proper trade team like Ambrosio or Banana. Millar rode for them as a junior then joined SG Bollington / VC St Quentin.