Front Mech xhainset compatability

Gymbal
Gymbal Posts: 10
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Have read the FAQ, but still not sure...
I am changing my front crankset after snapping a pedal ( :roll: ) Looking at either the XTR m970 or the new 980 triples. I currently have a 9 speed rear cassette, SRAM X9 rear derailleur. The front is an Etype M980 triple changer.

Can i get the newest then be future proofed If I change to 10 speed rear in the future?

Any thoughts,please?
Gymbal

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    10 and 9 speed chains, cranks and front mechs are fully interchangable.

For the absolute best shifting, all 'speeds' should match.

For very good shifting, the front mech speed should match the chainset speed.

Or you my get a little rub in some combos.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm curious. If you snapped a pedal, why are you having to change the chainset?
  • Gymbal
    Sorry snapped the crank arm, (an Aerozine x12SL if interested). I suppose I could try to get the new crankarm (it is under guarantee) But if I have done enough stress to snap a crankarm I am wonderring how much is left of the chainrings!

But it is probably an (good) excuse to upgrade
    Cheers for advice
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    If you are stomping enough to break cranks, why swap to the slightly thinner 10 speed. I have seen several 10 speed hubs bend teeth, something that never happens with the very slightly thicker 9 speeds

Also on a 10 speed crank the small ring is set outboard a very small tadge compared to a 9 speed (to allow for the thinner chain), this can make indexing a little more finicky and you may need to tweak your front derailers inner stop a bit

The bits will work together but expect a little bit more wear as the tolerances will not be perfect
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Gymbal wrote:
    Sorry snapped the crank arm, (an Aerozine x12SL if interested). I suppose I could try to get the new crankarm (it is under guarantee) But if I have done enough stress to snap a crankarm I am wonderring how much is left of the chainrings!

But it is probably an (good) excuse to upgrade
    Cheers for advice

a common issue with those arms. it came of the axle or....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gymbal
    mid shaft LHS.

Cheers for good advice,
    Will ponder which to look at.

Can it be added to the FAQ? re the compatibility.