travel insurance for biking in france

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi

does anyone know of any good travel insurance that would cover me for cycling in France?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Have a look here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 2312736e02

remember to check the small print - a lot of insurance companies cover casual cycling but not cycle touring.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    excellent thanks!

yeah - seems like grade 2 cover is what i'll need.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I have never bothered with cycle insurance when cycling in France or any of the major European countries. Just rely on using the reciprocal health services. I cut my right hand quite badly in France in 2004 when I pulled up by the side of the road in a town and lent against a road side lamp post which had a sign newly attached with a razor sharp metal strap. Pressing my hand together to stem the blood flow I legged it into the local Pharmacie 20m down the street who called the local doc and arranged an appointment, gave me directions, 5 minutes later I was sitting in his surgery getting the side of my hand sewn up and bandaged. Cost? Gratuite. The doc was a sweetie. My bike was still there when I went back being looked over by a kindly old gent. It helps speaking a bit of the language though. It was a little tricky effectively cycling with one hand but I only had two nights left and easy cycling.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    dilemna wrote:
    I have never bothered with cycle insurance when cycling in France or any of the major European countries. Just rely on using the reciprocal health services. I cut my right hand quite badly in France in 2004 when I pulled up by the side of the road in a town and lent against a road side lamp post which had a sign newly attached with a razor sharp metal strap. Pressing my hand together to stem the blood flow I legged it into the local Pharmacie 20m down the street who called the local doc and arranged an appointment, gave me directions, 5 minutes later I was sitting in his surgery getting the side of my hand sewn up and bandaged. Cost? Gratuite. The doc was a sweetie. My bike was still there when I went back being looked over by a kindly old gent. It helps speaking a bit of the language though. It was a little tricky effectively cycling with one hand but I only had two nights left and easy cycling.

Me too. We just rely on the reciprocal arrangements with the NHS. Definitely needed for the USA, though!

When on a dinghy sailing holiday in Menorca I broke a rib when I slipped off the edge of a diving board. I went to a medical centre for a check-up just in case (there's not normally any treatment for broken/cracked ribs if there's no other damage). Got excellent service, free.

On another occasion I had an infection on the root of a tooth in France. I was directed to a doctor's surgery from the pharmacy where I tried to buy anti-biotics over the counter. The doctor checked me over and gave me a prescription which I took back to the pharmacy. It cost a total of 20 euros; 10 for the doctor and 10 for the tablets. I didn't bother claiming on the NHS when I got home - it just wasn't worth it.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Don't forget though that while the EHIC card is excellent it doesn't cover you things like the the costs of getting you and the bike home, and I don't know whether the reciprocal arrangements cover costs of medical repatriation, or shipping your body home (sorry to be Mr Gloomy). Insurers already assume you carry an EHIC card so the cover is for all of the other ghings that could go wrong. It's probably worth having - although if you want theft cover that's best done through a good-quality household contents insurance.