Sweet Revenge

2»

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    edited July 2011
    jay12 wrote:
    Is it not hard as nails to get into Canada (from a residency point of view)?
    i heard it's not that bad. as long as you have no criminal records etc and have good qualifications then chances are you will get in
    I LOVE MEN.
    their quite picky basically. you have more of a chance with good qualifications but thats not to say they won't let other people in
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Aww poor jay just missed the point
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2011
    ...massively...
  • jay12
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Being sensible for a moment, getting a visa in Canada is hard as nails. Basically you pretty much have to have a job set up before you go or you probably won't get in, unless you have quals and experience working in one of the 'in demand' areas. These are the usual - engineers, teachers, medical, plumber, sparky etc
    Anyone can apply for a 1 year working holiday visa, as long as it's approved before their 31st birthday.
    My advice to anyone under 31 - JFDI. Canada is fecking amazing, I'd be there like a shot if I had any chance of getting in.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Don't suppose those in demand trades include train drivers that can draw a bit and knock together a mean pasta dish?
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gazlar wrote:
    Don't suppose those in demand trades include train drivers that can draw a bit and knock together a mean pasta dish?
    In all seriousness, it might do. When I looked a few years ago, they were even after sound engineers, and we're practically USELESS to society, really.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    foxc_uk wrote:
    unless you have quals and experience working in one of the 'in demand' areas. These are the usual - engineers, teachers, medical, plumber, sparky etc
    Anyone can apply for a 1 year working holiday visa, as long as it's approved before their 31st birthday.

You may have just changed my life, I have something to live for now so no more Llandegla black runs for me :lol:
  • kg211
    kg211 Posts: 34
    Canada looks good to me, although got to try and sell my Mrs the fact that it isn't really any colder over there than it is here. :twisted: She doesn't like the cold.

On a serious note ( in The CrudCatcher as well) the Canadian embassy website has a list of what trades they are looking for. I believe it was updated in June.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    pity canadians are douche bags! Lovely country sh1te people!!!
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    ^^ Someone's been watching too much south park I think :lol:
  • jay12
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    ^^ Someone's been watching too much south park I think :lol:
    :lol:
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    kaiser83 wrote:
    pity canadians are douche bags! Lovely country sh1te people!!!

Sure you arent confusing them with Americans? When I was in Canada, they were all ace!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    was thinking about two old house mates, french canadians, total ass wipes!

probably the french bit that didnt help!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    kaiser83 wrote:
    was thinking about two old house mates, french canadians, total ass wipes!

probably the french bit that didnt help!

Probably?

I'd say it was a 106% chance
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I used to work with a quebecois geezer, strange fish he was, exceptionally good at being disgruntled.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I met loads of Canadians when I was in Asia, they were all pretty cool, even the French Canadians :shock:

Lots of the Americans were idiots, and Israelis even more so, both incredibly arrogant.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'm looking at applying for residency in Canada - I am getting assistance from my employers out here which helps but I also meet their points requirement and have a qualification that fits their labour lists (accounting).

To be honest in BC most people I meet are great - there are a good few hicks with american style guns/trucks/beards attitude but even they aren't quite as extreme as the americans. As for the weather - yep its cold in Winter and currently its wet and cold in summer too - where I am (Okanagan Valley) should be a semi arid desert with high 30's in the days, blazing sun and generally weather thats a bit too hot for riding - it is currently struggling to get into the mid teens, rains all the time and when it isnt raining the air is thick with midges!

On a general note - its is pretty pricey to buy property out here (at least anywhere you'd want to live and be able to get work), its really expensive to buy used cars and get them insured, food isnt that cheap either, beer is pretty pricey and pay scales are down on UK earnings and a lot of people are hourly paid meaning they arent paid if there isnt work that day.

Also a lot of work is seasonal meaning a lot of people need to be able to find alternate winter work or save a lot from their summer work to cover down times.

Also - if you are under 30 you can currently get 2 years working holiday visas - cant remember how it works (I am too old so never looked!) but a friend got his second year very easily.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    On and I live own a terrace house in UK - I let the tyres down of a car in our street one drunken evening as they kept parking on the pavement outside my neighbours house but lived around the corner.

Completely forgot about it until late the next day - car was gone and never came back.....
    :shock:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Nuts4fsr
    Nuts4fsr Posts: 1,084
    Dont let the tyres down on cars that annoy you. Use a valve removal tool and loosen the Valve 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nuts4fsr wrote:
    Dont let the tyres down on cars that annoy you. Use a valve removal tool and loosen the Valve 8)
    Evil, but I like it! :lol: