Shortening Formula brake hose

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Have got a new set of Formula Megas - both the front and rear cables are way too long for my bike. Can I just unscrew the hose from the lever, cut the hose and then refit the original banjo / o-rings etc or is a special kit required?
A google says you can do it without a kit but I don't want to damage a brand new set of brakes!

Thanks
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited August 2011
    img2437u.jpg

img2441ek8.jpg

see what you think.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nonnac85
    Not sure what you mean...
  • nicklouse
    you need new olive and barb at a minimum.

well you may be able to cut the barb out but I would only do it to keep as a spare.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nonnac85
    Thanks
  • Simon514
    Simon514 Posts: 35
    Anyone know how to get the banjo off from an existing hydraulic hose?
    I want to recycle the banjo and use it to fit onto a new hose. My brakes are formula oro k18 and it's a bugger to get off!
  • nicklouse
    you can not.

new banjo time.
  • Simon514
    Thanks.

Can I use different connectors instead of the formula oro ones? I don't want to spend £30 on banjos olives etc again for the sake of replacing the hydraulic hosing.

Idealy i want something that connects and disconnect easily when changing the hose! Any suggestion peeps?
  • nicklouse
    they are the only ones like that.

dont shorten them then.

I think the avid olive will work but I would use an Avid collar as well. so you save nothing.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can use the Superstar banjos, just order the set for Formula hoses, works out a bit cheaper.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    but there is no banjo at the lever. and that is the end you shorten it. the banjo is on the caliper end. I suppose you could do it that way.

( i ignored the wrong wording at the start :) )
  • Simon514
    Thanks for the replies, but I've settle for Jagwire quick fit connectors. Hopefully this works out and more cost effective for the future.

Let you all know how I get on in a couple weeks time.....
  • Simon514
    North wind...just checked on superstar site wished I went for that now! Ooowell!