TdF: Bike/wheel-swapping silliness (no spoilers)

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
RIght, so I'm enjoying the TdF, when John Anyrider gets a puncture. It's swapped out, and so the following question appears in my head:

What tyres do they replace them with? Is it the same make/model? Do different riders favour different tyres?

And the same with bikes: My bike's set up just so, and my team-mate might be a few inches taller. Maybe I like Shimano, and someone else likes Campagnolo. How do they handle that with the "service" bike? Is that a generic one-size-fits-all?

I guess this can be extended to pedals, too. It would appear they're not all using the same. I feel a bit silly not knowing this, but I just... don't.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The neutral service bikes are old and a bit crap (by pro standards) and don't fit right. They use clips and straps to account for the different pedal systems.

The top riders have a spare bike or two on the car set up just for them. Tyres will all be the same wheels will be various types but I don't think they make that much difference to the pros it's all marketing innit.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Stock tyres - top riders have a couple of complete bikes set up for them - domestiques take pretty much what they're given.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Perfick. Thanks.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Stock tyres - top riders have a couple of complete bikes set up for them - domestiques take pretty much what they're given.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNrMy0n ... page#t=39s

Even if its a kid's bike :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Service bikes are generally CAAD9s aren't they?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Asprilla wrote:
    Service bikes are generally CAAD9s aren't they?

Dunno. I'd have expected a little better, but have you seen anyone using them - nope !

I checked out the service bikes in the Tour of Turkey last year, and they were generic carbon or alloy frames (with shimano stickers) and Ultegra. That said, a good half the peloton were using Ultegra/Chorus level kit.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    notsoblue wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNrMy0n ... page#t=39s

Even if its a kid's bike :)

yeah - but that's Jens - he could do the tour on a unicycle
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    notsoblue wrote:

You gotta love Voigt!