new Brake bedding

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have read alot recently about bedding in new brakes, and I am curious to know your views on this, Some say slow full stops, some say fast full stops, some say add water to the rotor after. How do you bed in your new brakes or do you just ride?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on what the makers say.

never add water.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I normally try and do some heavy stops to get some heat in, but fitted a new set last night and it was chucking it down today and not exactly conducive to heavy braking. Just rode as normal and they seem to be perfect. Except for the mud.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    The reason I am asking is due to a bad experience with my old brakes, that turned out to be a frame issue and nothing to do with the brakes and has gone back tot he shop for a refund.

I have bought a new bike and am awaiting delivery, it has Avid exilir 5's i looked at there site and saw nothing about bedding in, i just wanted to make sure i got it right from the start.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    nicklouse wrote:
    never add water.
    Despite what Nicklouse says some pad manufacturers tell you to spray with water after getting hot,then repeat.Spraying with water has no detrimental effect on pads/rotors what so-ever :wink: and other than rapid cooling so you can re-heat again probably no positive effect either :D
    I've had Avid Juicy5s/7s/Ultimates and now elixirs on my HT and generally just do a few hard/dry stops.
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Just bedded in a new pair of Elixir 5s Toast. I went down a quiet downhill bit of a road and slowly built up speed, braking with one brake at a time, slowing to a walking pace, and then repeating.

Eventually the feel gets sharper and then a couple of heavy stops and you're all good. Usually about 15-20 stops per brake. I've also tried drag braking down a hill whilst pedalling, which also works quite well, as you feel the brake getting stronger and stronger. Just make sure you have the brake on quite hard if using this method, so you don't glaze the pads over. It's a good way of testing leg strength though!
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    In theory at least, bed in is done in two stages:

Firstly you need to physically match the surface of the pad to the surface of the disk. Obviously this takes longer with used discs. During this stage you don't want to use the brakes too much as localised overheating will occur. When the pad had conformed to the surface of the disk (i.e. 100% of the pad is touching the disk) then braking can be increased to get the pad hot enough to cure and (where applicable) to transfer an even layer of pad material to the disk.
    "Coming through..."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just ride. The brakes get progressively better until they're at top performance.