Tattoos

martinwitnam
martinwitnam Posts: 439
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Had one done yesterday and the tattooist said that I should not put antiseptic cream on it until it has scabbed over. How long does it take to scab over?

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Comments

• Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    my dad was told the opposite... his still looks perfect a few years later, no bleeding of colour and still crisp lines.

he was told to use bepanthan (the nappy rash cream) his didnt scab over as he cared for it constantly.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • CS3
    CS3 Posts: 17
    As mentioned above, get Bepanthen asap.
    Put it on twice a day for the first day, then once a day for three or four days after that.
    It shouldn't really scab over.

I have a full sleeve on my left arm, half my right arm and a bit of my back done and all look like they were done yesterday due to baby's ass cream.
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    Thank you gents. I'll go and get some Bepantham in the morning. Been putting Savlon on up until now.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    E45 and err, pile cream. Work wonders.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Savlon won't do any harm. +1 for Bepanthen. A thin layer of Savlon's good when you've healed up a bit. Not as messy as Bepanthen.
    I've been getting tattoos done for 20 years and every tattooist says something different. I've never really followed the "tattoo handbook" properly and have never had any problems. doesn't mean you shouldn't do as you're told, though :-)

P.S. Why didn't you look on tattoo sites for your information instead of a bike site? :?
  • beinbhan
    beinbhan Posts: 52
    I was told to use vicks vaporub on my tatoos
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    beinbhan wrote:
    I was told to use vicks vaporub on my tatoos

Probably helps the skin breath ;-)
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    I used this

TattooGoo.jpg

Pretty good shnizzle!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Bapanthen 2-3 times a day, and for the first 2 days leave it wrapped in clingfilm but change the clingfilm every day.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Had one done yesterday and the tattooist said that I should not put antiseptic cream on it until it has scabbed over.

You need to switch tattooists as you current one is talking out their @ss.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Had one done yesterday and the tattooist said that I should not put antiseptic cream on it until it has scabbed over.

You need to switch tattooists as you current one is talking out their @ss.

+1.

Thinest smear of Bepanthan a couple of times a day. Also, if you are a heavy scabber (I am), then persisting with the clingfilm is also a good move as it makes for a much finer, dusty scab that draws a lot less ink out. I've noticed an improvement in colour retention and eveness since follwoing this advice.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    What tattoo did you get done?

Was it an anchor on your forearm? :D
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    E45 and err, pile cream. Work wonders.

Love n hugs

DD

pile cream works. I thought they were taking the pi55 and that was 20yrs ago
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The best thing you can put on a tattoo is Preparation H. Sounds a bit wierd, but it keeps the scab moist so it can heal properly without scarring, has antibacterial properties and stops soreness, itching and swelling. Everything you need for a tattoo. Slap some on and put a sheet of clingfilm over it to protect your clothing.

I was recommended this by the guy who did my tattoo, and it worked a treat. It healed really quickly and cleanly.

I did get some odd looks from the pretty girl a the checkout in Tesco, when I turned up with two tubes of Preparation H and a roll of clingfilm though !!!!!! :oops:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    MattC59 wrote:
    TI did get some odd looks from the pretty girl a the checkout in Tesco, when I turned up with two tubes of Preparation H and a roll of clingfilm though !!!!!! :oops:

I was dressing a set for a film- we were using a boys' grammar school as the location. The main vestibule had panels of the names of real alumni, which had to be screened out. One common way of doing this non-destructively is to float sheets of fablon, on a slick of KY jelly - which being water soluble, won't dilute any delicate varnishes, and washes off easily.

Cue me in Tesco, buying 20 tubes of KY. To placate the obviously alarmed checkout girl, I unthinkingly said "It's ok, I'm working in the boys school round the corner."
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    balthazar wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    TI did get some odd looks from the pretty girl a the checkout in Tesco, when I turned up with two tubes of Preparation H and a roll of clingfilm though !!!!!! :oops:

I was dressing a set for a film- we were using a boys' grammar school as the location. The main vestibule had panels of the names of real alumni, which had to be screened out. One common way of doing this non-destructively is to float sheets of fablon, on a slick of KY jelly - which being water soluble, won't dilute any delicate varnishes, and washes off easily.

Cue me in Tesco, buying 20 tubes of KY. To placate the obviously alarmed checkout girl, I unthinkingly said "It's ok, I'm working in the boys school round the corner."

:shock:

:lol:

:twisted:
  • balthazar wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Yah, sure, we believe you. ;)
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    balthazar wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

us divers use KY to help get the neckseals and wrist seals on easily. I have the dubious honour of being asked to leave boots in weymouth as i asked for a tube of KY and when the assistant asked what size i told her i needed enough to get my hand in up to my wrist .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Tacky.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    balthazar wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

us divers use KY to help get the neckseals and wrist seals on easily. I have the dubious honour of being asked to leave boots in weymouth as i asked for a tube of KY and when the assistant asked what size i told her i needed enough to get my hand in up to my wrist .

Followed by, "Please sir, stop picking at your scabs"

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk