Cycling shorts, too tight?

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
My girlfriend has bought me some cycling shorts (Karrimore ones from Sports Direct) she has bought the right waist size however my thighs are pretty big and the rubber grippy bit at the bottom of the legs seems maybe too tight. I understand this is to stop them moving when you are on the bike, but should they be as tight as they are?

If anyone else has shorts with the rubber grippy bit at the bottom of the legs, how tight do they need to be to function without becoming uncomfortable after a while on the bike?

Thanks

Comments

• if you're aware of it, they're too tight. It's just to stop them sliding, not to stay in place by squeezing your legs :)
  • mossychops
    Amazingly quick and helpful reply. Thank you. Will take them back tomorrow.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    you deserve all you get buying from that Fat cockney B*st*rd
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    spen666 wrote:
    you deserve all you get buying from that Fat cockney B*st*rd

spoken with the heartfelt passion of a true Mag :wink:

Mossychops - don't be taken in by the name, the old Karrimor was a quality brand, now its been bought out and lives under the sports direct banner its far more budget in price and quality.
  • mossychops
    "deserve everything you get" - harsh. Why is he a bastard too? I heard all staff just got a shares windfall bonus of £43,000 each (2x their annual salary as a bonus). Ooh that would make me mad if that happened to me :?

Agreed on Karrimore brand now, but £4 for a pair of cycling shorts? Got a cycling shirt too for £7, seem pretty good to me. Used their stuff before and actually been surprised how well the stuff lasts. Was using cotton t-shirts and shorts before.
  • mossychops
    Oh is this a football thing? They wear red and we wear blue therefore we hate them type thing? Grrrr, those fat b****** red ones. :wink:
  • Always bargains to be had, got a pair of DHB shorts from Wiggle (where else?) for £7.50 on sale.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    mossychops wrote:
    Oh is this a football thing? They wear red and we wear blue therefore we hate them type thing? Grrrr, those fat b****** red ones. :wink:

He's a Fat cockney Bastard because: -
    1. he's FAT
    2. He's a COCKNEY
    3. He's a complete and total c*nt as well as a b*st*rd

Oh if you want an idea of what this is about tryreading the judgement of the Premier League on him and his regime at Newcastle United over the Kevin Keegan affair.
    Fat Cockney B*st*rd Judgement

Just listen to the crowd at any Newcaste match and hear their views on the club owner.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • fallingoff
    fallingoff Posts: 332
    They are very tight around the thighs,it stops you dropping your enegry bars or change... :roll:
    I went for the Muddyfox instead much better but a tad more expensive... :D
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It's very true that all the brands they have in there are now cheap and nasty. Donnay used to make decent tennis raquets, now they just seem to make cheap socks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    spen666 wrote:
    Just listen to the crowd at any Newcaste match and hear their views on the club owner.
    The same crowd who have such cast iron convictions they are happy to pay him money week in and week out to see his team play?

There is no such thing as a football club* anymore!

Simon
    *In the UK, I think the Barca' model is great......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    mossychops wrote:
    I heard all staff just got a shares windfall bonus of £43,000 each (2x their annual salary as a bonus).

Ah, so that's where the Carroll money went.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mossychops wrote:
    Agreed on Karrimore brand now, but £4 for a pair of cycling shorts? Got a cycling shirt too for £7, seem pretty good to me. Used their stuff before and actually been surprised how well the stuff lasts. Was using cotton t-shirts and shorts before.

I bought some Karrimore trainers. Possibly the least fit for purpose product I have ever bought - truly abysmal. I've seen mayflys that lasted longer than the tread on those trainers. I wouldn't touch anything by Karrimore with a bargepole anymore.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    Not that know much but my karrimore shorts and shirt seem to work fine but I obviously don't have turbo power thighs like the op at the moment as I have only just begun commuting.
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • mossychops
    Jason82 wrote:
    Not that know much but my karrimore shorts and shirt seem to work fine but I obviously don't have turbo power thighs like the op at the moment as I have only just begun commuting.

Haha - yeah sounds great to say that my thigh to wasit ratio is too good to wear normal peoples clothes, unfortunately it's not as impressive as it sounds.

Shame to lose the cool brands we had when I was a child, if someone pulled out a graphite Donnay racquet people would gasp in awe. They seem to have the Campri brand now too - I was well cool in the 80s wearing my flouro Campri Ski jacket.

So far the stuff I have had from Sports Direct has actually lasted pretty well. Especially for the price paid, but sadly at the moment, it's £4 for shorts or no shorts.
  • Jason82
    mossychops wrote:
    Jason82 wrote:

Haha - yeah sounds great to say that my thigh to wasit ratio is too good to wear normal peoples clothes, unfortunately it's not as impressive as it sounds.

Shame to lose the cool brands we had when I was a child, if someone pulled out a graphite Donnay racquet people would gasp in awe. They seem to have the Campri brand now too - I was well cool in the 80s wearing my flouro Campri Ski jacket.

So far the stuff I have had from Sports Direct has actually lasted pretty well. Especially for the price paid, but sadly at the moment, it's £4 for shorts or no shorts.

I had forgotton about the ski jackets ha ha I still have my Sergio Tacchini tracksuit top I was the boy with all the style in my neck of the woods.
    FCN = 9
  • Jason82
    mossychops wrote:
    Jason82 wrote:

I had forgotton about the ski jackets ha ha I still have my Sergio Tacchini tracksuit top I was the boy with all the style in my neck of the woods.
    FCN = 9
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    i bought the karrimore shorts not too long ago. Medium was too tight around the thighs. I took them back and tried L and XL. again, all too tight around the thighs. It is my belief that they changed the waist and 'gusset' sizes, but didnt even think to change the leg girth.

£8 wasted :(
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have the same problem with cycling shorts , they are always to tight around the thighs for the right waist.

Try decathlon..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/

The last 3 pairs of shorts i have bought have been from there and they are well priced and fit properly.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    I have the same problem with cycling shorts , they are always to tight around the thighs for the right waist.

Try decathlon..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/

The last 3 pairs of shorts i have bought have been from there and they are well priced and fit properly.

+1 and the ones that i first had and I have got too thin to wear now work well on my wife. who isn't happy that i am thinner than her :lol:

wasn't Campri a C&A brand ?

Jason82 has gotta be a scouser.

PS I heard all the Man U umbrellas needed returning because of a fault. apprently theres a huge drip under each one !!
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Jason82
    No I am not a scouser I am from the home counties where the queen lives and everyone is rich allegedly. Clearly not me or my family though but at least I have a full time job unlike some lazy tw%ts I went to school with.
    FCN = 9
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Calm down, calm down.
  • Jason82
    Joelsim wrote:
    Calm down, calm down.

F*ck you don't expect your wheels to still be on your bike when you come back and I will leave my ginger pubes all over your saddle you southern fairy.
    FCN = 9
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Jason82 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Calm down, calm down.

F*ck you don't expect your wheels to still be on your bike when you come back and I will leave my ginger pubes all over your saddle you southern fairy.

Err....
    Jason82 wrote:
    I am from the home counties
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Jason82
    bails87 wrote:
    Jason82 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Calm down, calm down.

Err....
    Jason82 wrote:
    I am from the home counties

I was carrying on his previous joke. Re-read thread.
    FCN = 9
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    They're only too tight if a casual observer can determine your religion.