Excess brake lever movement.

Welsh_Tom
Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
The front avid elixir 3 lever has excess movement when compared to the rear lever.

Rear lever movement = 21 mm

Front lever movement = 28 mm

Not the world, but there is also no resistance at all when pulling the front lever, there was also a black line coming from the end of the hose running down the caliper body after i had cleaned the bike (bike has been used once)

There was a problem with the front cable when the bike come

dsc00174vb.jpg

I had inflated the forks, leaving the cable almost pulled out at both the lever and caliper, before i seen the misstake

Any help welcome

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    may well even up, but you never know. ONly way to resolve the uneven levers is a bleed as a rule.

As for the forks - I assume you had to turn and tighten the bars when it came out of the box? Then its your fault.... you turned the bars/forks in opposite directions. Loosen your stem bolts and spin the forks.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Welsh_Tom
    benpinnick wrote:
    may well even up, but you never know. ONly way to resolve the uneven levers is a bleed as a rule.

As for the forks - I assume you had to turn and tighten the bars when it came out of the box? Then its your fault.... you turned the bars/forks in opposite directions. Loosen your stem bolts and spin the forks.

Its the fact it feels soft worrys me, not that is not even.

You had to put the bars on the steam, And I am 99.9% sure I never turned the forks anyway, thats how they come out the box.

but thats not the end of the world, be my misstake of theres, its not a problem, I just asking about the brake system feeling soft.
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    As benp said may well even up, had the same on a pair of juicey 5's.
    Deffo sort the front routing out asap before you have no front brake to worry about.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • Have you ridden it?

My elixirs need a few pumps of the lever or hardish stops to get the feeling back in them when i've had the wheels out.
  • Welsh_Tom
    only once ben, it just feels very soft, just making sure its safe. it thats what it will be like thats fine, as long as its safe
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Easy dude - you need to set the dead band and then tri align.

See, easy :lol:

To actually be of help I've pulled this directly from another thread that I commented on. Do and be happy

"not sure if this will help but I really firmed by 5's up by setting the deadband (the amount the lever moves before it activates braking) by whipping the wheels off and pumping the pads in with the lever until they're about 1mm apart, slide in the bleed blocks to push the pads apart (but not all the way - this a suck it and see/trial and error procedure) and you should be able to set them until they have almost 0 movement in the levers before they bite.

Then tri align them again (undo caliper mounts, pull and hold lever whilst tightening up caliper bolts to ensure the caliper is 'square' on the disc) and bolo's your familiars uncle"

hth
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    I take it from the routing that you haven't had a chance to ride it properly, which means that the brakes haven't had chance to bed in properly.

Sort the routing out then bed them in properly. My new Elixir 5s are the same in that the front brake has more lever throw than the rear, but once bedded in properly they have been very good. Plenty of modulation but lots of power when you really squeeze hard.
  • Welsh_Tom
    fixxed now,

by removeing wheels closing caliper holding closed, then opening with a spaer block then holding closed again for a bit and woot they are working.

i had 2 new brakes on my old bike yet never had to do this.

so i am not sure if its something you need to do with new brakes or not
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no it was just because they are new. they would have evened up as things bed in and settle down.

It is totally normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown