Galibier from Bourg d'oisans

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Is there a valley floor route to the foot of the Telegraphe from Bourg or are you forced to go up and over the Glandon/Croix de fer?

Ideally looking for two loops from bourg, one including the Glandon/Croix de fer and one taking in the Telegraphe, Galibier and Lauteret.

Would like to avoid doing the whole lot in one go but may have to in the absence of any other sensible option.

Probably won't make it up the Alpe on the same day, if that is the case though.

Anyone know?

Also posted in tour section but here gets more footfall. Before anyone starts crying.

Comments

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    in short,no, there is no valley floor route. There's a big mountain massif (can't remember the name) between Bourg and the other side to Telegraph
  • jim453
    Thank you for your reply.

So are there any options for those based in Bourg and wanting to take the Galibier on from the north? Other than to MTFU. Some kind of summer ski bus perhaps to put bikes on?
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Not sure about a bus. Maybe you'd have to go via Grenoble to get to the Maurienne valley. Can certainly say no buses passed me going up the Croix de Fer from Bourg. There would be a bus from Bourg to Briancon, over the Lauteret, but again, can't ever recall a bus going over the Galibier.
  • BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    I got back from Bourg d'Oisans on Tuesday after riding the Telegraph, Galibier, Alpe d'Huez route. I researched into how to get there and there is no simple answer. We ended up driving over, leaving the car near Madone and one of the guys went back for it after we climbed the Galibier.

Essentially you are climbing from Bourg d'Oisans over a mountain ridge into the parallel valley, there is no easy way round it. When you have ridden it you'll see why it's not a bus route!
  • jim453
    Thank you again.

Bus idea was pretty dumb I suppose.

Oh well, with no transport we'd better just man up and do the Marmotte route minus the Alpe.