What do you wear whilst commuting short distances?

Shadow Cyclist
Shadow Cyclist Posts: 3
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

I bought my road bike 3-4 months ago and I love it, I cycle every day, short or long distance. I have my long distance clothes which is obviously shorts, jersey etc but my problem is what to wear for the short distance rides?

My question is I guess for the short distance commuting where donning the cycling clothes seems unnecessary, especially if I'm just cycling to uni and would have no time to get changed or meeting friends for coffee. I just wear my normal clothes for the 2-3 miles cycle journeys but unfortunately 2 pairs of my jeans have suffered the hole in crotch syndrome. And it seems that even if I bought tougher jeans, it will suffer the same fate anyway. :cry:

So I was wondering what do you wear for the short distance journeys? Do you wear your usual cycling clothes anyway then cover it up with your clothes?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For 2-3 miles, wear anything you like (except perhaps Hasselhof-esque speedo's!) and take it steady!

Not sure how you hole the crotch of a pair of jeans I commute in cotton baggy shorts over normal undercrackers and have done well over 1500miles without problems!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For 2-3 miles, wear anything you like (except perhaps Hasselhof-esque speedo's!) and take it steady!

Not sure how you hole the crotch of a pair of jeans I commute in cotton baggy shorts over normal undercrackers and have done well over 1500miles without problems!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    For the commute I tend to change even though mine is relatively short. That's basically because I'm bad at resisting the urge to ride as fast as I can. If I'm feeling particularly zen I'll happily do my six mile commute in street clothes but take a change of shirt.

If you're wearing out the crotch of your jeans it may be because you wear looser-fitting jeans that hang quite low, or at least that has been my experience. It's difficult to explain, but the motion of pedalling (because your legs go through a greater range of motion than when walking) tends to pull at the crotch seam of your trousers unless they fit quite snugly.

I found that wearing a belt helps.
  • I do a 14 miles each way commute on a brompton and just wear regular clothes... Jeans and tshirt with a coat if it's cold.

I've not had any problem with jeans but I wore cotton trousers once and they didn't like it.

I only wear Lycra etc if I go out on my cross bike.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Denim is a useless material for everyday riding, it is too thick, absorbs water, takes ages to dry and you can only get fashion-styles which show your arse crack to strangers who might get the wrong idea.
    Get some sensible trousers man! Go to Millets or Go Outdoors and pick up some polycotton cargo or hiking trousers, they have them on special offer every so often. Ive been using Craghopper Basecamp and they do OK.
  • This is certainly odd; one pair was loose fitting and the other not so loose. The holes aren't actually at the seams but on both sides where it touches my seat when I'm riding. My friend also has the same symptoms with his pair of jeans so I'm a bit flabbergasted that you guys still manage to maintain your pair of jeans. :?

Perhaps I should just wear shorts, then just don it when I get to my destination. Thanks for your replies, guys! :(
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Wear anything but jeans.

Summer, wear normal shorts or 3/4 length.

Winter or colder days, I wear Ron hill running bottoms and t-shirt/ jacket .

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    generally not jeans on a bike at all, heavy, sweaty, pretty constricting and awful in the wet.

looser fitting hiking or running trousers may actually rub less as they're gonna be less welded between your thigh and the saddle edge and spread the chafing

Maybe try a pair of lycra shorts as underwear so they're more slippy against your normal clothes and alow them to move about more than your skin will.

Also to consider, could it be your riding style contributing to it?
  • Agreed. 'Home on the range' the cut and toughness of denim jeans may have been de rigour, but on a bike fashion jeans are pretty much the worst thing to wear. For a short jaunt most regular trousers or shorts are fine. but I'd suggest looking for man-made fabrics which tend to wash and dry easier and crease less.

If you are commuting to Uni then can you not wear what works on the bike, then change in the toilets on arrival?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Hya,

i use these...
    http://www.swrve.co.uk/jeans.html,

for commutes of 5-6 miles. I find them great. seamless crotch, low cut at front and higher at back, articulated knees and a bit of stretch make them very comfortable. was wary because of the price but after 15 months of use, regular washing and no signs of wear i am happy to recommend them.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    My commute is between 3.5 and 6 miles (depending on which route) but I still wear my full Lycra kit and get washed and changed at work !!

This is because I tend to end up riding flat out,even on the days when I think I am going to take it easy :roll: