Tyre Pressure

garyhere
garyhere Posts: 28
edited July 2011 in The workshop
Hi
I hope someone can help with a question about tyre pressure.
I've noticed since I've had my bike, a Crossfire 2 from Halfords that the tyres seem to go a bit flat after a couple of days commuting.
Last night I inflated them to 70psi. After riding 9 miles today the pressure is down to 60.
Do I have a slow puncture?
I'm taking the bike in for its 6 week service tomorrow and don't want to look a prat asking them about it.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Tyres do lose pressure over time. Mine will generally fall from 110psi to 80psi over the course four or five days. However, losing 10psi over 9 miles is quite a lot.

It could be that you let quite a bit of air out when removing the pump or something like that, or it could be a slow puncture. The best idea is to buy some spare innertubes and a puncture repair kit and learn how to fix things yourself, it will make life much easier in the future as puncture, I'm afraid, are a fact of life.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • garyhere
    garyhere Posts: 28
    Hi Asprilla
    Thanks for the reply.
    I bought a spare inner tube, puncture repair kit and the Haynes Bike book last week.
    I used to repair punctures on an old racer when I was younger no problem, but I think, unlike riding a bike, changing an inner tube is something I have forgotten. :oops:
    I will keep an eye on the pressure for another week or so and then maybe have a practice run at removing and replacing the inner tube.
    Thanks again.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    garyhere wrote:
    Hi Asprilla
    Thanks for the reply.
    I bought a spare inner tube, puncture repair kit and the Haynes Bike book last week.
    I used to repair punctures on an old racer when I was younger no problem, but I think, unlike riding a bike, changing an inner tube is something I have forgotten. :oops:
    I will keep an eye on the pressure for another week or so and then maybe have a practice run at removing and replacing the inner tube.
    Thanks again.

Best to learn now and not in the winter when it's cold, dark and wet (although looking out the window at the moment...)
    Steve C