Darwin Awards

Skippy2309
Skippy2309 Posts: 426
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Felt to hand out 2 of these today. Both were shocking and required some quick actions on my part.

First this morning, Riding to the LBS - was giving it some car pulled alongside (no idea how fast we were going - had plenty of room btw) no idea how I spotted it but just saw a flash of yellow appear from behind a parked car grabbed both brakes hard - could hear the cars wheels locking up a little to, as I am grabbing the brakes the child appears in the road on a push along bike followed by the father running them into the road :shock: If me or the car driver hadn't seen it could of been a very messy morning....

Second was around 2-3, heading home after having lunch with the missus. Was having a nice drive home, there was road works up ahead so i decided to take the scenic route - come round the corner at around 15mph to be confronted by a man on a BSO (bare in mind this road is wide easily 2 lanes with cars parked on either side) the man was riding primary which I usually do not have a problem with, only issue was he was on the wrong side of the road!!!!! I had to swerve out onto the other side of the road to avoid a head on collision I couldn't believe it.

Anyone else have some good darwin moments. Sometimes it makes me wonder how some people survive when they do things like this.
FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ah yes, whatever happened to the Darwin awards? Always very humourous and, whilst literally a dying breed, there seemed to be no end of candidates.
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    yes had similar yesterday guy riding in the primary spots me about to overtake him & he moves to the right so i had to undertake him :roll:
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'd like to nominate the dizzy woman who stepped out into the road after her dog (on one of those leads that seem to extend almost indefinitely) without looking (or thinking) directly into my path. I crashed into her and knocked her onto her arse but because she wasn't small I bounced off her and splashed onto the road, breaking my collar bone in the process. :x

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    damn Mcbain that sucks, hope you heal soon

Well I just had someone pepper my car windscreen with paintballs (well pepper is extreme was 2) all I heard was crack, crack! look across and theres 2 purple paint blobs on my windscreen, while approaching a junction!! if they had been right in front of me god knows what I would of done could of swerved, braked, etc. parked up and went looking which is when the heavens opened :roll: only good thing is the rain cleaned the paint from my windscreen :lol:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Ah yes, whatever happened to the Darwin awards? Always very humourous and, whilst literally a dying breed, there seemed to be no end of candidates.

Still going strong at darwinawards.com.

From the site I saw this video of a winner from 2010...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwOy_V7TXKI&t=0m19s
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I was going to watch that you tube video but then you have to create an account and I just can't be done with all that.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!