8sp XT, options to replace worn chain ring

beechtree
beechtree Posts: 85
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just noticed that after what must be 8K miles, my middle chain ring is VERY heavily worn with at least 2 missing teeth (big ring and granny are fine).

It's an old XT 737 8 speed groupset, so i have a decision to make. Do i just buy a replacement chain ring or bite the bullet and go for something like a 2011 SLX 10sp Groupset (£250 JEJames) and replace the whole drivechain (plus a new hollowtech BB and brake levers to replace the 737 brifters).

Questions:

737 is no longer available, but im guessing a 9speed chainring will be work fine as the teeth will be narrower?

Any obvious reasons why the 10sp drivechain groupset won't fit a 1997 Zaskar?

Any other obvious options i've missed?

Thanks
'97 GT Zaskar Red Annodised
'08 Kona Kula
'09 Specialized Rockhopper
'10 Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If the rest of it is fine I'd just change the chainring unless you're desperate for 10X
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    beechtree wrote:
    Questions:

737 is no longer available, but im guessing a 9speed chainring will be work fine as the teeth will be narrower?

Should work fine with a 9 speed ring - but it might not fit correctly - could take some filing to fit depending on the shoulders and the spider.

Any obvious reasons why the 10sp drivechain groupset won't fit a 1997 Zaskar?

No reason - probably best to get your BB shell faced to take the HTII fitting.

Any other obvious options i've missed?

Deore?

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    4 bolt fitting?
    Image.Shimano28.gif

ask your LBS abut some spiders or get a new spider and rings if you want.

eg of a Middle burn spider. Shimano also did them

img0230xl0.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • beechtree
    beechtree Posts: 85
    thanks all

Think i will try a middleburn

yes it's 4 hole and looks just like the exploded shimano drawing above, was thinking i wouldn;t need to consider the spider as it's only the middle ring that needs replacing,
    '97 GT Zaskar Red Annodised
    '08 Kona Kula
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper
    '10 Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red