ancient old road frame brakes

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited July 2011 in The workshop
right got a really really old ancient Royal Enfield bike that im hoping to paint an make into a snazzy road bike

the brakes are GB Sport Mk3 side pulls could i replace these for more modern dual pivot (powerful) brakes? or will the newer brakes not fit on the bike?

im use to V brakes which have bosses or discs all of these side pull things confuse the life out of me
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    I believe you can but you may need the 'long drop' variety. I don't know much more than you about this so will now fark off so someone more knowledgeable can say something with authority.
    I like the bike though, keep it looking old and shabby.
  • mudcow007
    you see thats what im thinking as the newer ones mount with a central bolt like the old uns do too?

an im guessing the dual pivot stuff is all within the brake and nothing to do with how it attaches to the bike

ahhh so many questions!!
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Your frame will have been made for 27" (630mm) wheels not the current common 700C (622mm) so the drop of your brakes will be key. The rear forks will not be the correct width for modern 130mm wheels Have a check here before you do too much in case you have a real rarity
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • mudcow007
    Your frame will have been made for 27" (630mm) wheels not the current common 700C (622mm) so the drop of your brakes will be key. The rear forks will not be the correct width for modern 130mm wheels Have a check here before you do too much in case you have a real rarity

ahh crap! yeah they wheels are 27" 3/4 pants

so does that mean im stuck with using ye olde brakes?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    I think you can still use the brakes, just get the same length drop. I think all the dual pivot is within the brake so not an issue.
    Wheel size won't affect changing your brakes unless you change the wheels as well. Might be an idea to change wheels at some point as aluminium give better braking than steel rims, long drop brakes should still reach. And make sure you get wheels with the right width hub. I'm sure you can if you get a good wheel builder to make some for you.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Consider using a drop bolt:

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... 0&Enum=103

Though if modern "long reach" calipers achieve this effect by moving the pivot lower anyway, you probably don't need to. The problem with traditional long reach calipers is that the drop reduces the leverage and hence the power of the brakes.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    You have the original wheels? 27" tyres are still available. You can get 27" Gatorskins. A set of modern dual calipers from Tektro won't break the bank. Braking on steel rims can be entertaining. As I said earlier have a chat on the Enfield site or vintage bike sites and someone may well give you a decent price
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • mudcow007
    yep still got the original wheels, the bike is pretty complete except for more modern handle bars, stem, seat an nasty plastic brake levers

i have spoken to a guy from the national cycle museum who said the bike is around 1950 to 1960 so its proper vintage!!

my plan is to replace the steel wheels an replace with alloy, i remember steel wheels from my childhood an in the rain they were lethal

found replacement brand new wheels for only 40, id like to keep things original if i can

thanks all
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mudcow007 wrote:
    found replacement brand new wheels for only 40, id like to keep things original if i can

Where did you get these from, if I may ask?
  • mudcow007
    Gussio wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Where did you get these from, if I may ask?

here my good man
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    ^ They look good for the money - thanks!