Micro/ Mini pigs

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
anyone on here got one?

my mrs is desperado for one, we went to Pennywell farm who were selling pigs but we were on holiday etc an i made as many excuses as i could so she never got one plus they are £550 each

so has anyone ever had one?

or i know this is a long shot but....is anyone an experienced pig farmer on here? [/url]
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did you see the Mini Pigs scams on Fake Britain yesterday?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    A 15 to 20lb pig? Sheesh man, if 10lb of that is digestive system and 5lb is skull and brains you wouldn't get more than two sausages out of it. Go for a full size porker and put my name down for a hock!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Wilma was £500.....vets fees so far £1500.....
  • mudcow007
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Wilma was £500.....vets fees so far £1500.....

sweet jesus! what was that for?

have you had it long?

my mrs really really wants one, she was saying it could play in the house etc

have you had any issues with yours?
  • SimonAH
    My dogs were free. Vets fees so far <£50.

You bought pedigree Jeff, I bought mutt. They are running out of warranty though so I may have to price up 12 gauge shells and black bags at some point over the next couple of years.

Kidding on the last bit of course, love 'em dearly. I'll use comfy cardboard boxes, not black bags.

Joking for FFS. I'll use a four ten as the shells are cheaper

• gtvlusso
    Wilma is a Border Collie.....

We have a friend that has a micro pig - essentially a very clean animal, but will still eat your rubbish bin contents.

£1500 is the total for 3 years of pet ownership - Includes monthly fee for vet (for jabs)t and insurance payment - thats just for a dog! I can imagine that pig insurance and vets fees are considerably more!
  • SimonAH
    Wilma is a dog....

• gtvlusso
    SimonAH wrote:
    My dogs were free. Vets fees so far <£50.

You bought pedigree Jeff, I bought mutt. They are running out of warranty though so I may have to price up 12 gauge shells and black bags at some point over the next couple of years.

Kidding on the last bit of course, love 'em dearly. I'll use comfy cardboard boxes, not black bags.

Joking for FFS. I'll use a four ten as the shells are cheaper

Suggest use of .458 Magnum - there will be nothing left to dispose of, although someone 10 miles away may have a shock when a shower of dog bits lands on them.

*I do not advocate the shooting or disposal of dogs, neither SimonAH's or my own - they are lovely fuzzy and very sweet animals!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I saw that thing about the mini pig scam, turned out they were just baby full size pigs. I certainly wouldn't know the difference. I want a pygmy hippopotamus, unfortunately they're not real.
  • mudcow007
    edited July 2011
    ahh now you see i love border collies, you can hug a dog, play with a dog, walk a dog etc what can you do with a pig besides eat it?

i really really want another collie but both me an my mrs work all day so the dog would be on her own which isnt nice

here is Meg (my old collie)

meg.jpg

she had cataracts here...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I saw that thing about the mini pig scam, turned out they were just baby full size pigs. I certainly wouldn't know the difference. I want a pygmy hippopotamus, unfortunately they're not real.

Tell the RZSS, they've obviously been conned:

http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/animals/ ... Hippo.html

You'll still need a pretty big pond, mind...

Cheers,
    W.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    mudcow007 wrote:
    anyone on here got one?

my mrs is desperado for one, we went to Pennywell farm who were selling pigs but we were on holiday etc an i made as many excuses as i could so she never got one plus they are £550 each

or i know this is a long shot but....is anyone an experienced pig farmer on here? [/url]

Don't forget you will need a government-issued livestock license :wink:
  • gtvlusso
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yes they are - there are 2 at Bristol zoo!

Still bigger than a German Shepherd though!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:
    anyone on here got one?

yeah i have just been speaking to someone over that its something to do with defra i think? because a pig is clove hoofed animal?!

i think for that reason im out
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't get the point of £500 (and the rest!) pedigree dogs. Fair enough as an investment to sell it's offspring to other wierdos, but when there's loads of non pedigree dogs in need of a home, why encourage more to be deliberately bred, and pay a fortune for it at the same time?

Might just be me, I like mongrelly dogs, they don't look down their nose at me like these fancy pure breed ones..... :lol:

Mudcow: Has she thought about a house rabbit? Less hassle than a pig and cheaper than a pretentious dog!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    What was that p1ss take about hippo's on telly a while back. Advertising standards I think, something to do with being honest in advertising. Probably micro hippo's or something. Footage of tiny hippos walking under a coffee table. That was what I meant.
    Probably heard of pygmy hippos and got confuddled, sorry.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Not really into the whole micro-pig thing, my understanding is they selectively breed from the runts of the litter to produce smaller & cuter but presumably genetically weaker offspring, they are cute though... until it turns out you've been conned & your "pedigree" micro pig you keep at home turns into a giant 300lb stinking pile of pork & attitude :P

My girlfriend loves them though :roll:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • gtvlusso
    edited July 2011
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't get the point of £500 (and the rest!) pedigree dogs. Fair enough as an investment to sell it's offspring to other wierdos, but when there's loads of non pedigree dogs in need of a home, why encourage more to be deliberately bred, and pay a fortune for it at the same time?

Might just be me, I like mongrelly dogs, they don't look down their nose at me like these fancy pure breed ones..... :lol:

Mudcow: Has she thought about a house rabbit? Less hassle than a pig and cheaper than a pretentious dog!

1, Dogs homes don't often have pups - we wanted a pup, so that the kids learned to care for a pup and teach.

2, You have no idea of temperament with a rehomed dog or it's true history (i.e. may have had a violent past, not even dogs homes know the true extent of a dogs personality) - i.e. don't know how it is with kids etc etc. If you bring the dog up yourself, then you have allot of influence on their personality.

3, Dogs homes are often will not let you rehome if you have small kids or are out working all day. We were actively refused a dog by dogs trust, we looked at a fairly dosile lurcher.

Luckily, we have a daily dog walker who does a lunchtime walk. And we walk Wilma in the morning and evening (I think 3 walks a day is enough!)

We went to loads of dog homes, usually full of border collies, as people seem to bin allot of border collies. I guess because they are bright, get bored quick and will destroy property - they need attention, training and allot of input - however, I would not get a dog from a dogs home having 3 small kids - even the homes are very weary. We were, in fact, told by the dogs trust in Bridgend that they would not let us have a dog to rehome because of the kids age and the fact that one of us was not around all day - this seems to be the global policy for rehoming.

The risks with kids are too great and I would never be comfortable with the kids being with the dog and maybe that would impact the dog even more. We don't even leave Wilma and our kids in the same room together - I don't think I could live with myself if there was ever an incident.

The only reason that Wilma is pedigree is because I got a discount from a mate at work who breeds pedigree Borders, otherwise, we would not have a dog at all!
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    mudcow007 wrote:
    yeah i have just been speaking to someone over that its something to do with defra i think? because a pig is clove hoofed animal?!

The fear for me would be if we had another foot and mouth outbreak and the defra death squad knock on your door :cry:
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't get the point of £500 (and the rest!) pedigree dogs.

We picked up our first rescue dog 4 years ago and its 100% the way forward. Gave a hobo dog a home!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mudcow007 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    anyone on here got one?

i think for that reason im out

and then there is the organizing Vets visits and movement restrictions after any action from the vet.

and then there is the social side. They need a friend. so two pigs minimum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What was that p1ss take about hippo's on telly a while back. Advertising standards I think, something to do with being honest in advertising. Probably micro hippo's or something. Footage of tiny hippos walking under a coffee table. That was what I meant.

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLG2JP0P5JE

I thought it was an interesting one. It was run during advertising slots on children's TV in an attempt to educate kids that adverts aren't necessarily trustworthy sources of information.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    When you get bored you have an instant hotdog
  • veronese68
    nation wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLG2JP0P5JE

I thought it was an interesting one. It was run during advertising slots on children's TV in an attempt to educate kids that adverts aren't necessarily trustworthy sources of information.

That's the one, thank you.