Etape Du Tour - run by action.org.uk ...

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
More info at:
http://www.action.org.uk/etape_du_tour

Cycle mountain climbs made legendary by the Tour de France!

Our Etape Challenge gives you the chance to tackle a full day’s stage of the notorious 3-week Tour de France – the most spectacular and gruelling sporting event of the year.

Follow in the footsteps of pros as you take on a 2011 Tour stage over some of the most infamous mountain roads in the Alps. Our route includes the notoriously long, tough Col du Galibier – one of the highest cols used in the Tour – and the legendary steep Alpe d’Huez, probably the most famous climb in the world of cycling.

The event is open to cyclists of all abilities but you will need to train hard! Completing this route will evoke the greatest possible sense of achievement – you will have conquered the same terrain as sporting giants like Eddy Merckx and Lance Armstrong.
Simon

Comments

• I rode that course this week and it is as spectacular as your website suggests
    A superb day out on a bike with knobs on :)

Id ride it again in an instant plus Im obviously also in favour of anything that raises money for good causes

However before I take things further can you tell me exactly how much of my entrance money and sponsorship will be passed on to charity please?

And if its not 100% of it then where does the rest go?

Cheers
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I rode that course this week and it is as spectacular as your website suggests
    A superb day out on a bike with knobs on :)
    Id ride it again in an instant plus Im obviously also in favour of anything that raises money for good causes
    However before I take things further can you tell me exactly how much of my entrance money and sponsorship will be passed on to charity please?
    And if its not 100% of it then where does the rest go?
    Cheers

Nothing to do with me... but the details are in the online brochure!

I would assume all profit goes to charity, since it's being run by a charity rather than private company. 'Action' appears to have realised that a lot of cash can be raised from cycling events, and this one appears to be raising the bar in terms of event size and scale.
    It would be interesting to know how much the official Etape costs in terms of total cost.
    Simon
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Brochure says around £800 for the first option.

I have riden LEJOG with Action Medical Research and their events are well organised and for a very good cause.
  • It would be interesting to know how much the official Etape costs in terms of total cost.

My overheads as follows

Solo entry - approx 60-70 Euros
    Flights to Lyon - 180 return inc bike
    Hotel in Modane - 50 Euros a night for shared room
    I hired a car for my transfers, a coach should be much cheaper for a group

I appreciate the cause and Im still curious how much of the sponsorship and entrance money gets to the charities

Cheers
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    It would be interesting to know how much the official Etape costs in terms of total cost.

My overheads as follows

Solo entry - approx 60-70 Euros
    Flights to Lyon - 180 return inc bike
    Hotel in Modane - 50 Euros a night for shared room
    I hired a car for my transfers, a coach should be much cheaper for a group

I appreciate the cause and Im still curious how much of the sponsorship and entrance money gets to the charities

Cheers

I think the answer is you raise £1600, of this £800 goes to the trip provider (Discover Adventure in this case - who are a normal commercial business) the remainder goes to the charity. I could be wrong.