standing up

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:

(Although the guy in white in my picturewas another one who liked resting his ars*, as I recall).

(Didn't he like funny handlebars too?)

stock-photo-jan-ullrich-on-the-alpe-d-huez-time-trial-stage-tour-de-france-1045280.jpg
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg66 wrote:

(Although the guy in white in my picturewas another one who liked resting his ars*, as I recall).

(Didn't he like funny handlebars too?)

stock-photo-jan-ullrich-on-the-alpe-d-huez-time-trial-stage-tour-de-france-1045280.jpg

May I introduce the undisputed King of the funny aerobars:

tourca_s3_0686_N.jpg

Perhaps he's praying for a better excuse that "It was the Jack Daniels".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,015
    Greg66, I think you'll find that neither Indurain nor Ullrich were particularly good on the climbs. They were just particularly good cyclists, which enabled them to hang on up the climbs. I bet Mark Cavendish climbs seated as well.

Its slightly disingenuous to compare to our experiences in the uk anyway. UK climbs are short and lumpy. Strong tubs of lard can often get up them quicker than whispy waifs. Getting up short steep climbs is about maximum power output, not maximum efficiency. Just look at the list of winners of the spring classics.

So, the old school local club racer who tells you to climb at a cadence of 65 in a 21x42 gear with you saddle pointing upwards and your brake levers pointing downwards might, just might, be spouting cycling dogma.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I am awful at climbing seated. It doesn't seem to matter what gear I try to do it in, I'll end up with legs choked with lactic acid, gasping for breath as I creep up the hill.

On the other hand, I can stand up and put in a reasonable cadence at a good pace up an incline all day. I just find climbing standing a lot less tiring.