Rebekakakakakaka

2»

Comments

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Poor Dear Beka!

She thought she was part of the family.

And now her adopted father, sister, and brother disown her.

Hopefully Dave will still have words of sympathy when they go riding together. She has Dave to thank for not being let go in January.

If only she could have become pregnant in time.
  • jejv
    spen666 wrote:
    [What is the relevance of this?
    There is absolutely nothing illegal or immoral in employing private investigators unless you are employing them to carry out illegal acts.

There is no suggestion here of any illegal acts by the Daily Mail
    Huh!?
    The ICO's suggestion is that essentially all transactions - in particular the 952 related to the Daily Mail - discovered in Operation Motorman were criminal. (The ICO concedes that some acts could conceivably have a public interest defense, see below) .

The whole point of "What Price Privacy Now ?" was to publish the scale of criminal activity, and the organisation of the criminal industry. (See The illustration in section 5.4 of "What price Privacy ?"), titled "Interaction of parties providing illegaly obtained information to the press".

"Investigations by the ICO and the police have uncovered evidence of a widespread and organised undercover market in confidential personal information... Among the ultimate 'buyers' are many journalists looking for a story... The 'suppliers' almost invariably work within the private investigation industry."

Quote to end, from "What Price Privacy Now?":
    `What price privacy?' reported that 305 journalists had been identified during Operation Motorman as customers driving the illegal trade in confidential personal information. Following the report the Information Commissioner received a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 for further information about the publications that the 305 journalists were employed by and a breakdown of their activity. After considering the relevant exemptions information which did not identify the journalists or the publications was provided to the requester.

Having considered the matter further the Information Commissioner has decided that a further disclosure is in the public interest and in the context of a special report to Parliament is consistent with the discharge of his functions under the Data Protection Act 1998. The following table shows the publications identified from documentation seized during the Operation Motorman investigation, how many transactions each publication was positively identified as being involved in and how many of their journalists (or clients acting on their behalf) were using these services.

It should be noted that while the table is dominated by tabloid publications they are far from being alone. Certain magazines feature prominently and some broadsheets are also represented. The Commissioner recognises that some of these cases may have raised public interest or similar issues, but also notes that no such defences were raised by any of those interviewed and prosecuted in Operation Motorman."
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    edited July 2011
    I have a growing sympathy for the view that there should be a law that foreigners should not have a controlling interest in a news media company. I have less worry about Murdoch controlling Sky than I do about his newspaper holdings as Sky (without the news channel) has less influence than the newspapers.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • jejv
    Sirius631 wrote:
    I have a growing sympathy for the view that there should be a law that foreigners should not have a controlling interest in a news media company. I have less worry about Murdock controlling Sky than I do about his newspaper holdings as Sky (without the news channel) has less influence than the newspapers.
    Umm, so we get folks like William Randolph Hearst, instead of The Bouncing Czech and The Digger ?
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    edited July 2011
    jejv wrote:
    Sirius631 wrote:
    I have a growing sympathy for the view that there should be a law that foreigners should not have a controlling interest in a news media company. I have less worry about Murdoch controlling Sky than I do about his newspaper holdings as Sky (without the news channel) has less influence than the newspapers.
    Umm, so we get folks like William Randolph Hearst, instead of The Bouncing Czech and The Digger ?

Why would we get a William Randolph Hearst any more than we'd get a Maxwell or a Murdoch? Just to check, you do know he was American, born in San Francisco?

The point is we wouldn't have multi-nationals pussing their own agenda. All the titles that News Corp own add up to a large parts of our print media.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sirius631 wrote:
    jejv wrote:
    Sirius631 wrote:

Why would we get a William Randolph Hearst any more than we'd get a Maxwell or a Murdoch? Just to check, you do know he was American, born in San Francisco?

The point is we wouldn't have multi-nationals pussing their own agenda. All the titles that News Corp own add up to a large parts of our print media.

So Murdoch goes and we end up with another Desmond or a Rothermere and Dacre doubeteam?!

Nothing to do with foreigners, it's to do with b*stards! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jejv
    Sirius631 wrote:
    jejv wrote:
    Sirius631 wrote:
    I have a growing sympathy for the view that there should be a law that foreigners should not have a controlling interest in a news media company. I have less worry about Murdock controlling Sky than I do about his newspaper holdings as Sky (without the news channel) has less influence than the newspapers.
    Why would we get a William Randolph Hearst any more than we'd get a Maxwell or a Murdock? Just to check, you do know he was American, born in San Francisco?
    Yes - he was a native born citizen of the nation he lived in. And that was my point, really. Why would you expect a native to be better behaved than a foreigner ?

Being a native didn't seem to inhibit him from the race to the bottom of the "Yellow Press" with Pulitzer, or ramping up support for the Spanish-American war.

Though the "You provide the pictures, I'll provide the war" quote does seem completely bogus.
    Sirius631 wrote:
    The point is we wouldn't have multinationals pussing their own agenda. All the titles that News Corp own add up to a large parts of our print media.
    If you work in a big company, it's your fiduciary duty to seek to corrupt governments.

The way things are going, I expect a lot more non-exec directorships for Labour MPs in the coming months. Some of them must have been starting to wonder why they got into politics.

But yes, maybe limiting market share would limit the scope for corruption - by news media.
  • jejv
    Andrew and Beka should be careful.

Accidents can and do happen all the time.

For example, they could be just parking their car, and an axe could get stuck in the back of their head.

It does happen, as they well know.

Robert's parents seem to have persuaded him to stop playing with fire, for now, anyway. Perhaps they've found a way to stop him spending time with Will and Simon and James.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think someone will come clean or in an act of vengence reveal everything. After that....

I honestly think:

Someone is going to commit suicide from this. Either they were guilty or made scapegoat and couldn't hack the pressure.

Oh shit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14194623
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    That will start up the conspiracy theorists.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel