Word 2007

will3
will3 Posts: 2,173
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Why?

You bastards, I used to know how to use you, not I have to click forever just to find the simplest thing.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    will3 wrote:
    Why?

You bastards, I used to know how to use you, not I have to click forever just to find the simplest thing.

Its much, much better than previous versions. You'll get used to it and you'll wonder how you ever coped before...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    will3 wrote:
    Why?

I find clicking the office button helps.

Not found the forever button yet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Oh yes. I went from 2003 to 2010. Absolute mindfcuk.

And for reasons best known to MS, the most useful layout - the reading view - is now one in which you cannot customise a toolbar.

Tried creating any templates yet? It's easier now. But try finding them once you have.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • will3
    notsoblue wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Why?

Its much, much better than previous versions. You'll get used to it and you'll wonder how you ever coped before...

really? I do hope so. At the moment I seem to need more mouse clicks for evey action.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Went for 2003 to 2007. Have 2010 on the Mac at home which seems a bit better than 2007, but things aren't where I expect them to be and end up wasting time trying to find where things have gone.
  • will3
    Right so, all you MS fanboys:

before, I had lots of toolbars with small icons along the top. They were there all the time. This meant that, for example, getting to the insert symbol dialogue box was just one click away.

Now I have toolbars that are just glorified dropdown tabs (=the "ribbon" thingy) this means that every time I want any function it's at least two clicks away (supposing I guess right where they've hidden it)

Can I have my small iconned many functioned toolbars back?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    will3 wrote:

before, I had lots of toolbars with small icons along the top. They were there all the time. This meant that, for example, getting to the insert symbol dialogue box was just one click away.

Now I have toolbars that are just glorified dropdown tabs (=the "ribbon" thingy) this means that every time I want any function it's at least two clicks away (supposing I guess right where they've hidden it)

Click Insert, right click on "Symbol" and select "Add to quick access toolbar".
  • will3
    notsoblue wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Click Insert, right click on "Symbol" and select "Add to quick access toolbar".

Oh I see, so they admit that they've put all the buttons on slow access toolbars?
    Clever.

And I suppose I have to put each button on the "no quicker than it was before you meddled with it toolbar" one by onee do I?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Yes. You have to minimise the Ribbon, then customize the Quick Access Toolbar.

However, in an annoying "enhancement", you now can't have the Toolbar(s) vertically arranged down the side of the screen (which is where I like them, as the shape of a screen puts a premium on vertical space rather than horizontal space). You can only have them across the top.

It's just sh!t. I swear that MS's main objective is to use my screen space to show me all the thingys they have invented to make my life "easier". Well, they don't make my life easier, so fcuk off MS!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    Its an arse at first, but not as bad a shock as going to Excel 2007....WTF? In some ways more intuitive, in some ways utterly random. Try producing a graph and then try and put another series of data into it - used to be a simple drag and drop, but now its uber-complicated at first (I won't tell you how to do it, you'll get such a sense of acheivement when you figure it out!)
  • will3
    PS, thanks!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    You mean you don't just know the keyboard shortcuts?
    Call yourself a power user?! :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • will3
    dhope wrote:

No I don't call myself a power user, and yes I do know quite a few keyboard shortcuts, but I mainly learned these years and years ago when computer mice had balls and didn't work very well.
  • will3
    Rooner wrote:
    Its an ars* at first, but not as bad a shock as going to Excel 2007....WTF? In some ways more intuitive, in some ways utterly random. Try producing a graph and then try and put another series of data into it - used to be a simple drag and drop, but now its uber-complicated at first (I won't tell you how to do it, you'll get such a sense of acheivement when you figure it out!)

Oh yes, been there. Before we had that nice graph wizard thingy that took you through it step by step. Now we don't (seem to).
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    will3 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

No I don't call myself a power user, and yes I do know quite a few keyboard shortcuts, but I mainly learned these years and years ago when computer mice had balls and didn't work very well.

A mouse? I remember when a mouse had whiskers and liked cheese.

Dude, unless you can claim to have memorised the keyboard shortcuts for WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, and written DOS batch files, you ain't no legacy user.

Paging ITB...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • will3
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Dude, unless you can claim to have memorised the keyboard shortcuts for WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, and written DOS batch files, you ain't no legacy user.

Paging ITB...

Good heavens man, just how old are you?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Mice shouldn't eat cheese, it's bad for them.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    edited July 2011
    will3 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Paging ITB...

My first PC (which I bought when I was past the "spring chicken" stage") had a 20 meg hard drive. 20 Meg. I receive emails bigger than that now. Hell, I can take a photo bigger than that. If you google "20MB" most of the results are for SD cards that transfer data at 20MB per second.

And 3.5 inch floppy discs were a big ol' innovation.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • will3
    Right I think I have it licked now.
    Turn off the ribbon thingy and customise the "quick access toolbar" to put what I need on it.

Sort of like having fully customisable toolbars as before.

What a waste of time.
  • will3
    I suppose the next enhancement they'll make will be to create a numbe of pre-customised quick access toolbars which can be dragged and dropped anywhere on the screen...........
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Paging ITB...

My first PC (which I bought when I was past the "spring chicken" stage") had a 20 meg hard drive. 20 Meg. I receive emails bigger than that now. Hell, I can take a photo bigger than that. If you google "20MB" most of the results are for SD cards that transfer data at 20MB per second.

Hang on, I'm 30 next month and I remember frisbeeing around 5.25" discs.
    First PC I think had a 10MB of RAM, but this was about 5x the normal. 2x4MB and 2x1MB. 386 DX (none of this SX rubbish), 16MHz. Dos 5 I think. I was probably about 10, clearly I'm a geek to remember that much.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • will3
    notsoblue wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Why?

OK then, how is it better?
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qz9a8kYYkA

For those of you that miss the noise of a good old floppy Disc!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    dhope wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Paging ITB...

First PC I think had a 10MB of RAM, but this was about 5x the normal. 2x4MB and 2x1MB. 386 DX (none of this SX rubbish), 16MHz. Dos 5 I think. I was probably about 10, clearly I'm a geek to remember that much.

BBC B Micro. 32k of RAM and that was it. Yet you could still play Elite on it. After loading it from the casette player. Young whipper-snappers.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Paging ITB...

BBC B Micro. 32k of RAM and that was it. Yet you could still play Elite on it. After loading it from the casette player. Young whipper-snappers.

Hmm.

You see, that's for games.

When I was a kid, PCs hadn't been invented.

At Dad's work they had an IBM mainframe. It was huge. And it did sums.

TBH, I am very glad that the internet hadn't been invented when i was at University. I think it would have severely reduced what passed for my industry.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    FFS....

let's make getting a solution to an easy to solve problem complicated.

http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Menu-f ... 37180.html

yeesh.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • will3
    Aha.

That's the stuff (FWIW I'm running window 7 in "looks like windows 95" mode at the moment. :lol: )
  • Specialized Needs
    Specialized Needs Posts: 802
    edited July 2011
    will3 wrote:
    Why?

My wife works for an organisation just rolling out Office 2007 (nice and up to date :roll: ). Are you being 'blended and extended' then? (apparently, you'll understand if you are in the same organisation).
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I had a Sinclair Spectrum 16k, which I upgraded to 48k!

To be honest there were some great games for it like Jetpac and Manic Minor.