Touring on a singlespeed

evilollie
evilollie Posts: 148
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
I am planning on attempting a trip to Europe and have decided to use my singlespeed due to it's simplicity . My initial thoughts are to stick to the flat lands around holland etc

So I'm looking for any members experiences of doing similar tours

I am going with a mate who is taking a cross bike

Ta

Comments

• culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    This is taking fashion too far. Good luck but I would prefer to be on your mate's bike.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sounds like fun - spending days battling into headwinds in Holland; no easier than hills yet lasts all day. What is the benefit of the 'simplicity' going to be? How bad could things actually get if you took a geared bike before you'd prefer the alternative?

PS - I'd be piffed off if I was your mate - being condemned to dull scenery just so you can ride an innappropriate bike! :lol:

I think you'll have far more fun with gears.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • evilollie
    Haha this was the feedback I was looking for ... I could have hoy like thighs lol ... I could of course take my cyclocross bike instead ;)

We were just gonna get off ferry and cycle just not sure where lends to the best cycling
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There's a guy who did a trip across the alps on a singlespeed Pompino (singlespeed not fixed - getting up a mountain on a fixed would be bad enough but getting down again but be worse) - with camping gear using saddle bags. You'll probably find his blog with a wee bit of googling. I don't know his name but he used to hang out on the Singletrack forum under the name stoner.

There are parts of Italy (draw a line between Rimini and Bologna - and then look to the north of that) which is also very flat - lots of interesting historic cities like Ferrara.

Of course you could do what the old-timers used to do and have a flip-flop hub: although you might find out why Sgr Campagnolo said 'sod this for a game of soldiers' and dedicated years of his life to inventing derailleur gears. (OK, in fact he said - in Italian - 'something needs to change at the back').
  • evilollie
    I will google for that blog ta

At this stage it's only a consideration , I would rather enjoy touring than take a bike I end up resenting.... I might consider getting a dedicated touring bike ... Just not sure what
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Nothing wrong with touring on a single-speed anywhere in mainland northern Europe, especially if you are on holiday and not in a hurry. I would have doubts about my capacities to cross the Alps camping with one. The pleasure of enjoying the countryside in silence and the sensation of having no mechanical complications between you and the road have no equal (even better on fixed, in the right conditions). I think you will find the difference in speed between you and your mate a lot less than you imagine, provided you keep the weight of your luggage in reasonable limits.
    Try riding together with your chosen bikes and see what happens!
  • mz__jo
    I ride round the Limousin on a single-speed (and also on fixed) and ride sometimes with (retired) club members on carbon racers (at touring speed) without any difficulty. It is not particularly flat here, I invariably carry more weight than they do (its my nature) and I use a frame that is over 20yrs old. Its a lot easier than you think.
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    I am doing LEJOG on my Pompino (singlespeed, 48x18) at the end of August and anticipate it to be a bit tougher than with gears but then what's the point in doing these things if not to challenge ourselves? I have done loads of 60 milers and a couple of centuries and average 16-18 mph depending on the terrain. I would go for it! You will certainly be in the minority and will improve your fitness!
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've been to Holland quite often, usually for long weekends but several times for Tandem Club International weeks. The people are great but it really isn't very interesting cycling and it's annoying having to ride on cycle tracks with inferior surfaces when there's an empty really smooth road alongside you. Generally considerate drivers, too.

I recall riding the Elenith 300 Audax when someone (George Berwick, I think) used single fixed on something like a 63" gear. That is a very hilly event in places so it is possible to use a single gear anywhere. Whether it's enjoyable or not is up to you. In any case, are gears really so complicated and prone to problems? Can't say I've found them so.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • tugger
    tugger Posts: 122
    Last year I did San Francisco to San Diego on a single speed langster (spec) it was brilliant and I love that bike to pieces

Im currently trying to assemble a east coast to west coast USA single speed ride for 2013...

Why do it with gears!

Only problem is you cant keep up on the flat so well but its nay bother really...
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    tugger wrote:
    Why do it with gears!

I suspect that by the time you've crossed the Continental Divide you'll have worked out why.

What's all this romanticising of singlespeeds about? Singlespeeds and fixed gears are a fine practical alternative if you live somewhere flat, but that's about it. All the blarney is old hat - after all, these days every Tom Dick and Harry rides one.

Yes I know that people used to tour on singlespeeds and fixed gear bikes - but I bet the people who did would have been over the moon to swap for a geared bike.
  • tugger
    tugger Posts: 122
    by the time i get to the continental divide engines one and two will be so massive that it will not stand a chance.

thats a no brainer
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    If it is flat you will be fine, as long as you get the gearing right. It is a bit of a balancing act, you need something that will allow you keep up with your friend but still be able to get up any hils you expect to encounter.

I've done long rides fixed, 200km, sportives and audax, even some mountains (insofar as we have them in Wicklow.) I have used ratios between 73 and 94.5". The lower the ratio fixed the easier it is to get up the hill but the more difficult to get down. Singlespeed you don't have the downhill problem so try to go as low as you can that will still allow you keep up on the flat.

I've also done some light touring on my fixed Tricross. The weight certainly makes it harder so keep it minimal. I would not say it is ideal for touring to be honest. It is more effort to ride fixed (or to a lesser degree singlespeed, if you hit a hill) and if you want to do long distances day after day you start to appreciate the freewheel (which you will have) and easier gears (which you won't.)

But for shortish days around a flat country for a few weeks, it could certainly be a bit of fun.
  • oysterkite
    oysterkite Posts: 79
    On a recent Canada - Mexico trip I came across a Canadian guy fully laden with touring gear, panniers etc riding a fixie (not even single speed) he managed fine(but had the strangest looking thighs) . Anything is possible and the world would be very dull if everyone always did what was most sensible. :wink:
  • mz__jo
    Those of you who insist on gears are overlooking the fact that there is a certain pleasure to riding gearless that is not to be found with gears. Similarly there is a pleasure to be found in touring with a hub gear (3 speed, not just Rohloff). there is a also a pleasure in making the impossible function but that is another subject. It is only in using all the technical options that you come to appreciate the advantages and disadvantages (if you are sufficiently open minded). The pleasures of single-speed are more than just having less to go wrong but you have to use a single-speed to appreciate that.